96.6% efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so my buddy and I brewed a batch of Cream Ale today. We did a 11.5 gallon batch, he keeps half, and I keep half. Our recipe was:

11 # 2 row
11# Belgian Pilsner Malt
4# 4 oz. Flaked Rice
2 # Rice Hulls

Mashed at 149 for 45 min, Mash out at 170 for 15 min. Anyways, we were targeting a gravity of 1.046. We somehow got a gravity of 1.077. According to Beersmith, we got a brewhouse efficiency of 96.6%. We both thought that was odd, so we checked with both a hydrometer and a refractometer. How is that possible other then when I ordered the grain, they gave me more then what I asked for? Any thoughts?

This is very high, but the recipe you listed comes up higher than the 1.046 you say you were shooting for when I put it in Beersmith. I get 1.055 as the predicted OG with the default efficiency (72% mash efficiency). I brewed a batch today and got 86% efficiency, so you could easily get the 1.077 if you missed your volumes by just a little bit.

Ok, so my buddy and I brewed a batch of Cream Ale today. We did a 11.5 gallon batch, he keeps half, and I keep half. Our recipe was:

11 # 2 row
11# Belgian Pilsner Malt
4# 4 oz. Flaked Rice
2 # Rice Hulls

Mashed at 149 for 45 min, Mash out at 170 for 15 min. Anyways, we were targeting a gravity of 1.046. We somehow got a gravity of 1.077. According to Beersmith, we got a brewhouse efficiency of 96.6%. We both thought that was odd, so we checked with both a hydrometer and a refractometer. How is that possible other then when I ordered the grain, they gave me more then what I asked for? Any thoughts?

How much more and did you use it in the brew?

OK, reread the post...you're not sure they gave you more. If they did, that explains it, if not, IDK.

I can't think of an explanation other than measurement errors, either by you or the HBS. It is unlikely that your typically sub-70% system is now pulling north of 95%.

What was the efficiency calculated for the recipe?

Many will assume 75% efficiency but if it was calculated for less and your system is better then it will create a difference as well in your results.

It is also possible then grain you ordered had a better quality crush than what you are used to as well and that too will bump up your efficiency as well

Edit: is it possible the recipes efficiency was calculated less than your systems( re read and say your typical at 68%)

Back