Favorite Rum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vizcaya Rum is amazing and it's cheap. That said I have a bottle of mount gay tricentennial. I'll pour a class on a special occasion every now and then. Certainly a special bottle that I got as a gift. I actually wish I sold it rather than open it, but it's nice to enjoy every now and then.

Ron matusalem gran reserva is probably the best dollar to quality rum I've ever had. Unbelievably smooth. Another great one is MT gay XO but unfortunately I can't get my hands on that one where I live now. I can't get my hands on a lot of good rums sadly. One of the few things I miss about living in Florida.

Matusalem is a great sipper but isn't so expensive it would be sacrilege to mix it.

For cheap rums to mix I always go with Appleton estate vx or MT gay eclipse...either one is very tasty.

I'm not sure how you guys enjoy sailor jailor haha. Its drinkable mixed but maaan ill spend 2-3 more bucks any day to buy Appleton or MT gay.

Cruzans blackstrap is a trip and definitely a must try if you haven't. Its a navy rum so there is an intense molasses flavor going on. Very very unique and pretty cheap too.

Cool thread and glad to see there are other rum loves out there.

Reading through the whole thread now some great runs were mentioned...El dorado, barbancourt, zacapa.

I haven't had zaya yet but I might pick up a bottle of that next.

Appleton Special Reserve Jamaican rum is just different from most. I also like Wyeth and Nephew Overproof (again jamaican)

i have to admit I've never actually sat down and had a glass of wray and nephew. at 63%, out of the bottle it smells like gasoline. I've mostly just used it to make falernum. maybe i should at list give it a run...i'll probably dilute it a bit though.

Sailor Jerry is now my "everyday" rum. Captain Morgans Private Reserve is my sippin rum..but now that Xmas is here..I may have to put 50 dollar bottle on my list.....which one?

the collection

rum.jpg

Picked up a bottle of Kirk and Sweeny 12yr the other day.

Pretty decent stuff. rediscovered my Plantation bottles (Jamaica 2000 and 5yr) - also great stuff :)

I've never been much of a rum fan, but I've recently taken a liking to Old Monk. It's a dark rum, aged seven years, and tastes really good considering how cheap it is (~$20 per 750ml around here). I like to sip it neat or on the rocks, but it also mixes well.

I like Mount Gay rum when I think of it. I forget the main name on the bottle. The favorite of pirates everywhere for 300 years!

Flor de Cana
the 7 year is solid, good for mixed drinks. dont really drink it straight. The 12 year is great, and the 18 year is exceptional. They released a 25 yr recently. I havent had it yet since its $140 a bottle
Ive also heard Ron Zacapa out of Guatemala is top notch.

Back