Price of Beer Going Up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mountainrev said:
It seems the ethanol craze is going to raise the price of beer. Apparently many farmers are planting corn instead of barley right now: http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=73165

This will undoubtedly effect us homebrewers, as well, but probably not to the extent that it will impact retail prices. One more reason to justify our hobby.

In Toronto they are also considering an extra 5% municipal tax an all alcohol. Can I get a "whoa Homebrew!"?

I can't anticipate that the fuel alcohol craze will affect the cost of my 25K sack of barley too much.

Let me present an unlikely alternative. Since smaller farmers may actually start making money with the increase in the price of corn, we may see an increase in the number of farmers (if land is still available at a reasonable cost in the Midwest). This may actually help stabilize the prices.

warped04 said:
Let me present an unlikely alternative. Since smaller farmers may actually start making money with the increase in the price of corn, we may see an increase in the number of farmers (if land is still available at a reasonable cost in the Midwest). This may actually help stabilize the prices.
If anything related to corn farming were remotely related to market forces, this might be true. But corn (and ethanol) production are hugely subsidized (and tariff-protected) by the government. Corn farmers are guaranteed a minimum price per bushel...you can't get any more stable than that.

Bike N Brew said:
If anything related to corn farming were remotely related to market forces, this might be true. But corn (and ethanol) production are hugely subsidized (and tariff-protected) by the government. Corn farmers are guaranteed a minimum price per bushel...you can't get any more stable than that.

Living in Nebraska, I can back up this comment. It costs a lot of money to make ethanol, because the govt. subsidizes farms that produce the crops they want.

The government is ruining what could be one of the most important changes in fuel usage ever.

Why use corn?

Taken from Wikipedia:

"Switchgrass has the potential to produce the biomass required for production of up to 100 gallons (380 liters) of ethanol per metric ton.[4] This gives switchgrass the potential to produce 1000 gallons of ethanol per acre, compared to 665 gallons for sugarcane and 400 gallons for corn.[5]"

It's quite ironic isn't it?

Sean

Sean from New Hampshire said:
The government is ruining what could be one of the most important changes in fuel usage ever.

Why use corn?

Taken from Wikipedia:

"Switchgrass has the potential to produce the biomass required for production of up to 100 gallons (380 liters) of ethanol per metric ton.[4] This gives switchgrass the potential to produce 1000 gallons of ethanol per acre, compared to 665 gallons for sugarcane and 400 gallons for corn.[5]"

It's quite ironic isn't it?

Sean
:off:
Where in NH are you from?

Sean from New Hampshire said:
Derry. You around here?

Sean
No, SWMBO is from Canterbury. I lived in MA/NH for a couple months in 2005. This is when/where I started homebrewing. NH is a nice state.

Back