My spider SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, she is undaunted by my (almost) daily showers. She is on the outside of the shower.

Need something for her to eat. It is a bit early for many bugs here.

Pet shops usually carry live crickets & live mealworms, so do a lot of bait shops. BTW, have you identified the species of spider yet?
Regards, GF.

Awesome post gratus!

What happened to her TX?

Grew apart I guess. It kept coming by later and later, then not at all for a few days. Then after a few more days it stopped altogether.

I tried finding it, but I guess it didn't want to be found. I'll always have the memories though. If nothing else.

This only gets weird, IMO, when you start telling us she's the best listener you've ever met...

Ok, so I now find myself in a fairly empty house with much less human contact than I did....

Let's just say my life has been complicated, but my current situation involves no wife, no kids, no dogs, a lot of solitude.

Before, I would have thought a month of this would have been heaven. Now, it is a version of hell.

Your sympathies are appreciated, but I am OK. Now....down to business.

I
found a spider in the shower. One of the garden variety long thin legged spiders, with a non-descript small round body.

Said spider crawled out of the shower when I turned on the water and showered. I briefly entertained the thought of washing her down the drain. Glad I didn't.

She set op shop under the lip of the outside of the shower. A bad spot, in my opinion.

Later that day, I encountered a gnat (or some such small bug). I captured it, and on a whim transferred it to her web.....

She hid.

But later, I found her snacking.;)

Two days later I was apalled to find her dead....or so I thought.

A dead spider matching the general description was on the floor beneath her web, but upon closer inspection, I saw her crouched up under the lip of the shower in her normal hiding spot.:)

(yes, it has occurred to me that another spider came along, killed her and took her place, but please, leave me my small comfort)

There was amazing thunder that night, but no rain. I opened the door and who appeared?

A gigantic mayfly thingy. (mammoth mosquito, whatever)

I was so careful to catch this monster and fling it at her net, that it occurred to me too late to think that it might be TOO big.

That tiny lump isn't it's head. (curse my crappy camera phone, haven't found the "flower" setting) it is HER munching on it's head.

Too cool.
shpida.jpg

SHE IS EATING IT'S HEAD.

Dude you need some glasses.

This only gets weird, IMO, when you start telling us she's the best listener you've ever met...

Sometimes best listener and those that don't talk back are one in the same.

That dead spider under your shower under the live one...... That was it's exoskeleton. When spiders grow the exoskeleton does not grow with them so it must be shed. They need appx. 80% rh to shed or they will die. The perfect place for that humidity would be ding ding ding in the shower or Really close to it. I know all this as I had tarantulas for pets for along time I mean big damn spiders like palm of your hand big. But I got married and all my pets went to my local high school science dept. I got a dog.

She is good. I haven't fed her since the giant mayfly thing.

(glasses??? because my camera sucks?, my vision is better than 20/20)

I am moving in a couple of weeks, and I am concerned about her future.

Again a joke..better keep my day job. :(

Do we know for sure its a lady spider? Timothy the tortoise was found to be a lady tortoise after "his" passing (I think he/she made it to 100 years).

Get a tiny cage, or use the box from the speakers Phil is buying.

Poke holes (before you put it in there. Lesson learned on that one, sorry Buster) and let loose once you get to your knew place.

Back