AHB Blue Moon Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingBoar

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have never used liquid yeast before and looking at the paperwork it doesn't say anything about making a starter. So my two questions are: Should i make a starter for the yeast(WLP400)? If i do need to make a starter and i don't have any DME is there another way to go about this?

I made this same kit as a partial mash. I can post recipie later tonight. I thought it came out great but must have bottled it to early as it is over carbed. Very drinkable still and I will make this one again!

0.5 lb white wheat
1 lb flaked oats
0.5 lb belgian pilsner malt
0.5 flaked wheat
7lbs of wheat extract
1 oz of cascade hops
and the Blue Moon spice pack

What would be the best temperature for this to ferment at?

This is a lower gravity recipe so no need for a starter. Just pour the vial right in I like to ferment this recipe at 65. Comes out nice and clean.

For the starter, take about 4 oz of the kit lme and boil in 1L water, cool to 70f and use that to start yeast the day before you brew. Pitch the whole thing. If you dont have time to do it, I'd skip the starter.

Temp in mid to high 60's should work well from my memories. Check white labs webpage. I've found it to be a relatively forgiving yeast.

Good luck and .

I just did one of these, and I did not use a starter. But it did take 4 weeks for the yeast to hit fg. I really like it even though its still carbing I can tell in a few days it will be great you will love it.

Oh yeah and it fermented around 64-66 degrees that may be why it took so long to finish.

Thanks guys. Hopefully my house will stay under 70 since my fermentation chamber is my new kegerator.

:ban:

Beersmith gives this an OG of 1.053. Personally, that's not high enough for me to make a starter, assuming your yeast is in good shape. Go to the White Labs website and read the reviews about your yeast. Plenty of people making bigger beers than yours and they're direct pitching without issue. Also, the vial should indicate when you should make a starter, probably not until OG > 1.65 or 1.70. I'd try to ferment around 67-68.

The AHS website lists the default yeast as WLP400. If you use that, then the White Labs site says "Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 67-74°F" If it were me, I'd start about 67 and slowly ramp up to 74 over the first 4 days. I think you could swing this low gravity beer with no starter, but be prepared for long lag times. (starter would make better beer) I wouldn't go lower than 67deg if you dont make a starter.

Back