Your favorite Black IPA/CDA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdeck02

Reaction score
I want to know who thinks they have the best black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale (whatever you want to call it) recipe. Is it one you've formulated, tweaked form a commercial recipe or purchased from an online vendor? I brewed one a while back that was pretty tasty, but lacked the malt complexity I was hoping for. Please share your experiences and recipe ideas. I plan to brew another very soon and want to see what you guys have come up with as a favorite.

For commercial reference, my favs are Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous and Deschutes Hop In The Dark.

Excited to hear your feedback!

For reference, I had a little crystal 10l, Carafa II, Pauls Roast, and Light LME. Kinda boring.

I brewed one about 6 weeks ago that is just ready now. Came out great, nice and malty, just a hint of roastyness, and big PNW hop nose:

OG = 1.065
FG = 1.014

9.5# 2-row
2# Munich
0.75# Crystal 60L
0.5# Special roast
0.75# Carafa III

1oz Columbus FWH
1oz Pearle 10min
1oz Centennial 5min

1oz each Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe dry hop for 10 days

rehydrated S-05, 68F

I brewed one about 6 weeks ago that is just ready now. Came out great, nice and malty, just a hint of roastyness, and big PNW hop nose:

OG = 1.065
FG = 1.014

9.5# 2-row
2# Munich
0.75# Crystal 60L
0.5# Special roast
0.75# Carafa III

1oz Columbus FWH
1oz Pearle 10min
1oz Centennial 5min

1oz each Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe dry hop for 10 days

rehydrated S-05, 68F

This looks pretty tasty. Is Carafa III noticabley different from Carafa II? I used the II.

Back