The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fijidave12

Reaction score
I've wanted to start a thread that really has no outline...whatever happens, happens. Here's to the randomness spewed from our (possibly) sober or (more than likely) half-drunken selves, here in TN :mug:

...until next time.... :rockin:

I heard y’all had a brew day the other day and if I wasn’t so damn tired from working on the house I would have came. I need to brew the next few weekends (if I can find the time), I had a cookout last week and everyone found my beer and now I have empty kegs (not good):mad:.

Tim

Dave... let me know when the second edition comes out. That thread starter kept me in suspense throughout the entire book. :cross:

I need to keg the cream ale that is in my serving fridge being cold crashed, but this week sucks for me and I am unsure if I will have the time. I need to brew something as well because I have 2 in the fermenter that are sours and will need a little aging. The berliner-weisse should be ready along time before the sour flanders red. I want to make a peach wheat for a nice summer beer and then I want to make something different. I think I may need to make a belgian dubble or tripel. Anybody want to do a large batch of a belgian double or tripel?

Does anyone remember what grain John (I think it was John) said was great to add to a pale ale in small amounts? I think he said pale chocolate, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Hey Bobby, do you have a wheat recipe worked out yet? When the grain buy comes in, a wheat will be one of the first batches that I make. I'm actually going to be doing a Pauwel Kwak clone (dubbel) this weekend for the girlfriend, a triple on the dubbel's yeast cake, and still the quad (but it's been moved back a few weeks). Let me know if you find a recipe for the dubbel or trippel. I'll be interested to take a look at them.

Dave... let me know when the second edition comes out. That thread starter kept me in suspense throughout the entire book. :cross:

You're such a tool Billy! Hey how is the Imperial Red doing today after that bigass yeast starter?

Hey Bobby, do you have a wheat recipe worked out yet? When the grain buy comes in, a wheat will be one of the first batches that I make. I'm actually going to be doing a Pauwel Kwak clone (dubbel) this weekend for the girlfriend, a triple on the dubbel's yeast cake, and still the quad (but it's been moved back a few weeks). Let me know if you find a recipe for the dubbel or trippel. I'll be interested to take a look at them.

No peach recipe decided on just yet. I did see that the Kroger store down the road is selling peaches for .97/lb. I need to finalize a brew day for the Peach Wheat, but my schedule is all screwy right now.

Does anyone remember what grain John (I think it was John) said was great to add to a pale ale in small amounts? I think he said pale chocolate, but I wasn't entirely sure.

PM J-Malone I think he is the one who might have mentioned something about pale ales, but I can't recall what it is.

PM J-Malone I think he is the one who might have mentioned something about pale ales, but I can't recall what it is.

Yeah it was a couple ounces of pale chocolate. Almost did it on EdWort's Haus Pale, but decided to wait until the second batch.

That joker was bubbling away within two hours! Which must mean that it was fermenting, because that's the only reason for air locks is to gauge fermentation.

Just got back in the office... and I'm already wanting to head back to the house. On a good note though, I built my temp. controller during lunch. :ban:

Got a 10-gallon batch of pale ale going this weekend. Unfortunately I didn't realize until AFTER I used two 5-gallon buckets that the buckets have a larger footprint than a BB or carboy. So I can only fit the two buckets in the fridge, and I had to take out the (fermented out, but not yet lagered) pilsner. So it's sitting in my garage at roughly 80 degrees until I can get one of the buckets transferred into a keg.

How's it that your garage is 80° while it's 95° everywhere else?

Bottled a RIS last week and kegged an IIPA this week, both are going to need a little time before they're ready. Should have planned that better and stuck a beer that's ready to drink now in between them.

So it's sitting in my garage at roughly 80 degrees until I can get one of the buckets transferred into a keg.

What about getting a $5 bucket, that have the rope handles, from Lowes and getting some ice water around it....at least it could be fermenting around 65-70...unless you're kegging today :D

Just finished brewing a nut brown and about to keg up Ed's Pale Ale. Talk about a good Wednesday :rockin:

I just kegged an Abita Turbo dog clone today(it tastes delicious),I brewed a Dunkelwiesen on Monday that is still bubbling like hell, came home today to a almost clogged airlock and yeast/wort all over the lid, gotta love a big krausen. Cant wait till we get the grain,I've planned out almost the next 6 weeks of TO DO BREWS. I appreciate who ever gave up some of their order so I could get some sacks.

The barrels will come from the McKeel and whatever distillery. They are one of the three distilleries at the corsair place.

Well I'm back in the beer, kegged a Pilsner that lagered for 7 weeks. Now I have my cooler back so I can start fermenting in it again.

DAMN! I've got a lot of work to do myself. Got an IIPA that is dry hopping, needs one more week. A Kolsch that I brewed on the 27th that is still bubbling. And a California Blonde that was brewed on the 29th. I just got a pound of Amarillo, so I want to brew something with it... any suggestions?

Hmm, for Amarillo, I'd go with a Vienna backbone with a real low mash (147ish), and throw in an ounce or two of Simcoe.

This recipe is very good, i'm about to do it for the third time. Amarillo is awesome.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/red-dragon-ipa-56887/
_

If I had Amarillo in my stash, I'd be brewing that. Looks really good.

Hey Paul, I know you might be brewing a belgian soon. Here is the hop schedule on my dubbel that you tried at Billy's. My memory was getting fuzzy from the beer.
1.25 oz. - Tettnang - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Galena - 15 min.
1/4 oz. - Styrian Goldings - 15 min.

Decided to scrap the Amarillo IPA tomorrow(still a great beer) and do a Green Flash IPA clone, it will be super young, but hopefully drinkable for the brew meeting this month. Yay hops!!

Dave, I think i'm going to do it next Friday, i'll get a starter going on Monday/Teusday next week. The tripel hop schedule doesn't seem traditional, but the recipe comes from someone far more knowledgeable than me. It's Newport, Amarillo, and Styrian.

That dubbel was good.

_

My go to IPA uses a combo of Chinook, Centennial, and Amarillo. It's on the "To-Do" list behind a wit and in front of my Christmas porter.

Love them Amarillo for dry hopping. Mmmmm.

Can I get some input on this chest freezer...would use it for grain/hop storage. I've been texting them about it, but told them earlier today that I would pass on it. That was when I was thinking of using it to serve from. It has a ripped inner lid panel that is duct taped right now and would need to be replaced, but they said it freezes well. Right now the price is $40.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/app/2414072091.html

123952.jpg

How much you looking to spend? My buddy has one but's it's fairly big 5'x28"x3'. I think he want's $100 for it.

_

I'm looking to upgrade my tiny one so I can have more fermenting at a time. 13.5"x27.5"x15.25" interior with 7.5"x9.5" shelf. I got it new less than a year ago, but I'll part with it for $40.

I'm looking to upgrade my tiny one so I can have more fermenting at a time. 13.5"x27.5"x15.25" interior with 7.5"x9.5" shelf. I got it new less than a year ago, but I'll part with it for $40.

If no one takes it I may, my freezer with a bunch of meat in it maybe going out.

I am interested! I need a place to put all of those hops and some other stuff that needs to be freezed:ban:

Whoa whoa whoa. Chill, guys. I still have to get the replacement first. Don't want 10 gallons of pale ale roasting at 90 degrees!

But now that I know there's interest I can at least make a move. WildWest, does that offer still stand?

Back