www.fiftypoundsack.com - cheap bulk grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_Bigelow

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of these guys? I saw an add in BYO magazine and looked them up. Looks like they have free shipping in the USA and an extra 10% off listed prices with a coupon code (F8SMY91NS7JCC) in honor of their grand opening on 12/1. Here are a couple of examples of their pricing.

Rahr 2 row - $55 per 50lb bag shipped (plus a possible another 10% off).
Fawcett Maris Otter - $69 per 55lb bag shipped (plus a possible another 10% off)

http://www.fiftypoundsack.com/

I notice that they have no address or contact number listed on their website, so that kinda turns me off trying them.

Has anyone heard of these guys? I saw an add in BYO magazine and looked them up. Looks like they have free shipping in the USA and an extra 10% off listed prices with a coupon code (F8SMY91NS7JCC) in honor of their grand opening on 12/1. Here are a couple of examples of their pricing.

Rahr 2 row - $55 per 50lb bag shipped (plus a possible another 10% off).
Fawcett Maris Otter - $69 per 55lb bag shipped (plus a possible another 10% off)

http://www.fiftypoundsack.com/

I notice that they have no address or contact number listed on their website, so that kinda turns me off trying them.

I saw the ad in BYO this weekend, and wondered about it. Not great prices, but with the free shipping you'd come out ahead unless you bought the malt locally.

I have never really researched buying grain in Bulk before, but my LHBS quoted me recently a price of 48$ for a 50Lb bag of 2-row and I'm sure thats after he put his markup on it

That's a little expensive - much better to ask your LHBS to add a sack to their next order for you and keep your money in local hands.

If you have a LHBS, then by all means shop there. The closed shop to me is 100+ miles away. I try to buy in bulk there when I can, but I've ordered the occasional 50 lb sack and overall these prices are decent.

L

You have a LHBS

How big is NP now? Its been 25+ yrs since I was there. I was visiting a friends folks in FB.

Oh the LHBS is in FB, there's also one in Ester, but it is unreliable. I live on the Fairbanks side of NP and rarely go into the town itself, not much reason to.

I'm so lucky being in my area (near Portland)! 50# sacks of great western 2-row and pale are only $30, sometimes a couple dollars less! And no sales tax! I don't know what shipping is but you could try my LHBS, mainbrew.com.

I just bought a 50lb bag of Briess 2-row for $45.00 at the LHBS, I'll pick it up today after work.

What's everyone paying right now?

I believe my LHBS is up to $65 for 55lbs of Briess American 2-row (the most basic of basic malts)

What's everyone paying right now?

I believe my LHBS is up to $65 for 55lbs of Briess American 2-row (the most basic of basic malts)

About $40-$50 per sack. Briess' packaging sucks (since they are not lined like most other maltsters), so I try to go with Rahr instead for my domestic 2-Row. Not sure what the current price is on British Pale malt at the LHBS.

Good find. I don't really have a LHBS, 50miles each way to the only one in the area.

The hop prices are good, and the free shipping is a BIG plus.

from everything I have seen about $1/lb is as good as it gets for shipped to your door. I could only getter a better price if I picked it up.

So this seems pretty normal.

For the guys who don't have a LHBS, try to get in on a group buy. If there's none by you, start one. The one by me, a sack of 2 row is around 35, and MO about 40. And you could always chop up a bag with a couple other people. Definitely going this route since I'm getting my BC tomorrow

Signed up for an account, looks like this is being done by Rebel Brewer according to the email address the confirmation email was sent from.

Now we know it's a reputable source, I'm pumped! This might very well be the place I buy my first sack of grain.

The registered contact for their domain name is in Tennessee, for what it is worth. Additionally, his contact information is avaiable through a domain lookup service, such as BetterWhoIs.

I won't post it here, in the name of proper netiquette, though. :)

I wonder if they are skimming 5 lbs off all the sacks to make them 50lbs? :)

Some grains come in 50lb and some in 55lb.

I just started to buy in bulk, and the best I could find locally was $53.50/50lb of 2 row and no bulk option on much else, so $2-3/lb on the rest.

I decided to order from Missouri Malt Supply and buy enough that it was worth making the drive from KC to St. Louis. All together I ordered 525lbs, and at their price vs the LHBS, I will still save several hundred dollars even after the cost of gas.

That site mainbrew.com has some serious prices. 30 for a sack of 2 row 45 for pilsner and 49 for MO and GP. And 1.50 a lb for any specialty malt. That sounds pretty good. Probably get sodomized on shipping though.

Their hops are pricey as well but I cannot find a lb of Styrian Goldings any place else. so I may have to place an order

Signed up for an account, looks like this is being done by Rebel Brewer according to the email address the confirmation email was sent from.

Just in case anyone missed this comment, no worries about being a reputable source.

:mug:

Great Western here in Vancouver, Wa is going through some additions and will also be remodeling part of the plant in the next couple of years due to a rail line expansion. As a result they had decided to expand their offerings to hops, spices, and candied sugars. They have added a new "bagged grain contact" to their list of contacts and I'm waiting to hear back from them to see if they will be selling direct to the public now (at least locally to start). The LHBS is at $34.50 for a 50# bag of GW 2row currently.

The Malteurop 2 row is the only one cheaper than what I'm paying at my LHBS. Has anyone used this before?

I decided to order from Missouri Malt Supply and buy enough that it was worth making the drive from KC to St. Louis. All together I ordered 525lbs, and at their price vs the LHBS, I will still save several hundred dollars even after the cost of gas.

Wow KCBrewer. I know we don't know each other, but give me a shout out if you head back up there!

Wow KCBrewer. I know we don't know each other, but give me a shout out if you head back up there!

I haven't gone yet, and actually just got an email that there were still 18 sacks left to fill the order. If you want me to add to the order for you, just let me know. I had thought about posting on here to see if anybody wanted to go in on it and split the gas, but since I've only got a 1/2 ton pickup I'm kind of limited. I can probably fit a few more sacks comfortably though.

I'm told it will arrive late November, so I'll be taking a trip then. I'm also picking up 4 cornies for $25 ea plus $3 for o-ring sets if you're in need of any of them. I can forward you the price list if you pm me your email address.

That's a little expensive - much better to ask your LHBS to add a sack to their next order for you and keep your money in local hands.

I totally agree. If you don't support your LHBS, you may find yourself without one...

I'm lucky with my LHBS. 25kg (55lb) of Gambrius 2-row (malted here in BC) is ~$38 Canuckistani Pesos ($37 USD). Hard to beat that. No need to buy bulk for me to save it seems.

It pays to get friendly with the local brew pubs around you. I found a place that will sell me TF Maris Otter @ $32 a sack. Also Weyermann german pilsner for $35 a sack....Just ask, the worst they can say is no!

I am lucky. I live in a ag town. There is a Grain company about 2 my house that sells 2-row for $34 a sack and Marris Otter for $43 a sack. I usually have one of each and sometimes a sack of Pilsner on hand.

Just spent $33 on 50#of Briess 2 row, $36 on 50# of Briess Pilsen and $45 on 55# on Maris Otter (prices include shipping)

+1 on Group buys.

I just got on one here. $95 bucks for 3 sacks of grain. Where you gonna get a better price than than? If not for group buys I don't know if I would even brew. I mean if I had to pay $50-$70 for a sack of grain I probably would quit homebrewing altogether.

Back