Mini Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewklyn

Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing a mini mash for my next brew. i don't have a ton of space or equipment and was wondering if putting the grain in a muslin/nylon bag holding at correct temp in kettle, then pull it out and ladle sparge water over bag into the kettle would work?

Thoughts?

Yep , that is almost what I have done for 4 batches now. Beer has turned out awesome. Check out Deathbrewers stovetop PM mash(mini mash) it is simple and you do not need extra equipment or space. It is also fun and a learning experience. J

That would work, here's what I do.

Follow Deathbrewers partial mash instructions but instead of "tea bagging" in another pot for the sparge, I have a sink colander that sits right on top of my brew/mash kettle. I pull the nylon grain bag out and stick the colander underneith it. Then I have my sparge water heated up in two or three seperate pots, however many I need to get at least 2 gallons of sparge water, and I simply pour them over the grain bag to wash out all the goodness.

I have been doing this for my last 4 or 5 batches and I am hitting between 70-75% efficiency every time. Works well.

Back