how to calculate expected FG based on reading from beginning of boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddiebosox

Reaction score
One of my problems has always been awful efficiency. Until I can work to fix it I was thinking of adjusting my mash by adding DME to compensate at the beginning of the boil to bring it up to the gravity it should be. Anyone know the math I should use to compensate based on a gallon per hour boiloff based on my original gravity readings before the boil?

One of my problems has always been awful efficiency. Until I can work to fix it I was thinking of adjusting my mash by adding DME to compensate at the beginning of the boil to bring it up to the gravity it should be. Anyone know the math I should use to compensate based on a gallon per hour boiloff based on my original gravity readings before the boil?

I wouldn't add it at the beginning of the boil. Do your boil, take a gravity reading and see how many points you need. At this point you know your final volume and don't have to worry about boil off issues.

Add the appropriate amount of DME at flameout....dissolve well, take another gravity reading.

So lets say there are 6 gallons in the BK and the SG is 1.050.....but you want 1.060. So you need 10 more points. ppg = 10 points X 6 gallons = 60 ppg required. DME is 46 ppg so you would need 1.3 pounds (60/46) of DME to raise that 6 gallons to 1.060

Back