DIY Beer Line Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no problem running the post onto the A-176 adapter, only used a crescent wrench to tighten it up at the end. So I suspect that post isn't the right one...

Cheers!

Hmm. mine looks dead on the Firestone's posted in this thread but maybe I'll just buy a new one and try that. O-rings wouldn't do any good in this case.

As others have said, it should screw on without a problem. Did you happen to try screwing that post onto your existing keg set up? If it screws onto your non-firestone ball lock corny, then you'd have your answer.

If it doesn't screw onto the corny, maybe you got the accidentally got sent wrong type of Firestone post (gas rather than liquid?). Also, you need to make sure yours is compatible with Firestone V Challenger, Firestone VI Challenger, Firestone Super Challenger, not Firestone A, Firestone R, John Wood RA, John Wood RC (see page 22 of this thread).

My other kegs are currently in use so I can't test them. I have no idea where I even got this extra keg post from. I only have the liquid as well, no gas. But it looks dead on a Firestone, but maybe it's from the other Firestones you mentioned (I'll have to search the thread, this thread is only 4 pages long for me). Regardless it does not fit so I think my only option is to order another keg post and hope that works.

Well I ordered a new keg post and it fit! My other one must have been for an old firestone keg. Couldn't tell a difference when looking at the two. But in about 10 minutes it was hooked up and working. What a brilliant idea and so very simple. This will make it so much easier to clean kegs as well as keep the beer lines fresh.

cincybrewer said:
Well I ordered a new keg post and it fit! .

Ta-Da!!
Getting the right post is the whole trick with this project. I'm glad you found the right one and that you enjoy using this to keep your lines clean!

So, I have corny kegs. Do I still order firestone posts or do I get the corny posts?

Scooba said:
So, I have corny kegs. Do I still order firestone posts or do I get the corny posts?

You still get the Firestone post. The firestone post screws on to the pump assembly (via the adapter). The beer out side of a Firestone post and Cornelius post are the same. The difference in on the threaded end. The threaded end of a Cornelius post won't screw onto the pump assembly. The Firestone will.

Does that make sense?

You still get the Firestone post. The firestone post screws on to the pump assembly (via the adapter). The beer out side of a Firestone post and Cornelius post are the same. The difference in on the threaded end. The threaded end of a Cornelius post won't screw onto the pump assembly. The Firestone will.

Does that make sense?

Absolutely!! Thanks for the awesome idea!!

I use this exact same system but I didnt buy the corney fitting I just slipped a piece of tubing over the end of the sprayer that also fits over my taps faucet. I run the solution through backward and just remove the corney end fitting that plugs into the keg. Wash rinse replat the corney fitting and done. For the cost and ease of use this systems is better IMO.

Does that make sense?

What if you use pin lock kegs, does that post screw onto the pump assembly?

No. A Firestone post won't work on a pin lock. I haven't tried to fit one together for a pin lock. Has anyone out there tries that?

Made one of these today. I think the employees and Lowe's were watching me, because I took one of each sprayer box to the plumbing dept. and tested the fit for each of them against my Firestone post. Unfortunately, only the 1/3 gallon sprayer actually worked with any fittings, so I ended up having to fill that bad boy 3x with BLC, 3x with water and 3x with water to clean all my lines. Ultimately, it was worth it and I feel much better having clean lines.

Thanks for the easy to follow instructions!

I just built this today, used the 56HD from Home Depot, the A-176 fitting, and a Firestone liquid post I got from eBay (really came from Kegconnection.com). Found the tip to use the white plastic washer to be right on point! I flushed each line (2 7' lengths of 3/16" line) with about 28 oz of BLC. Also, I noticed an oily film on some of the parts of the sprayer, so I rinsed several times with hot water before first use, and then twice with StarSan. Oooops, then I noticed the directions on the side of the sprayer say not to use any acids inside, but I figure it won't be that bad. All in all, This is way better than having an extra keg full of Starsan ready to go (although that is also helpful sometimes). Thanks OP!

I use starsan all the time with the sprayer and never have had any problems.

Got the post in yesterday and went down to home depot. 5 min after I got home everything was ready to go. Now I'm just waiting for a reason to use it. :tank:

I just read 27 pages of this thread and I'm so sad that no one has figured out how to get it to work with pin-locks.

kman42 said:
I just read 27 pages of this thread and I'm so sad that no one has figured out how to get it to work with pin-locks.

I have a working pin lock version. All I did was get a pin lock post and a fitting that had the same sized thread to 1/2" barb from chi company. Was a little more expensive than a HD or Lowes fitting, but did the trick.

image-1525947360.jpg

image-4046153084.jpg

I just put BLC in one of my kegs and use air to push the cleaner through. Works great and cleans the keg while I'm at it. Not sure what the benefit is of using a plastic sprayer if you all ready have kegs? The directions on the BLC say to circulate and rinse 10 - 15 min. and with 5 gallons of cleaner it will run or the full 15 min at 5 psi. Works great. I use a second keg with a piece of silicone tubing going from tap to keg and catch the cleaner. Once I'm done with one tap I reverse the kegs and do the next tap.

I am with you on this... odds are I need to Oxyclean my keg then Star-San it as well. So why not soak the keg in each and pump it through the lines? One benefit of this method, I suppose, is not using your gas.

MaxOut said:
I just put BLC in one of my kegs and use air to push the cleaner through. Works great and cleans the keg while I'm at it. Not sure what the benefit is of using a plastic sprayer if you all ready have kegs? The directions on the BLC say to circulate and rinse 10 - 15 min. and with 5 gallons of cleaner it will run or the full 15 min at 5 psi. Works great. I use a second keg with a piece of silicone tubing going from tap to keg and catch the cleaner. Once I'm done with one tap I reverse the kegs and do the next tap.

I just took off the green nozzle and wore down the plastic threads a little with a pliers. Then with a little thread tape (not sure how much it actually helped) cross threaded the **** out of the sprayer with my pin lock connection. It created a seal and pushed a whole bottle of cleaning solution through my lines w/o a leak.

photo(14).jpg

Just purchased a made it tonight. It works really well and used the exact parts in the OP pictures. Only problem we have had so far is there is a small leak between the sprayer and the adapter. We have tried Teflon tape, tried screwing on a little tighter, nothing seems to stop it. Not too big of a deal and it's still really handy to have.

Amazingly simple solution, going to have to make one for sure!

Much easier than dragging a keg from one end of the house to the other just to clean a line...

I just took off the green nozzle and wore down the plastic threads a little with a pliers. Then with a little thread tape (not sure how much it actually helped) cross threaded the **** out of the sprayer with my pin lock connection. It created a seal and pushed a whole bottle of cleaning solution through my lines w/o a leak.

Same thing I did. I just threaded a liquid post straight onto the sprayer with no adapter.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-new-beer-line-cleaner-231902/

I finished my keezer this week and built this cleaner, works great!

I've scanned this thread without too much luck. IE Star San has a mix of something like 2 oz per 5 gallons, but this sprayer is only 56 oz (not even 1/10th of the bottle mix).

Anyone have suggestions for PBW, BLC, and/or Star San?

If my math is correct, for star san it looks like it'd be a little more than 1 tsp. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not 100% sure this is what you were asking though.

I finished my keezer this week and built this cleaner, works great!

I've scanned this thread without too much luck. IE Star San has a mix of something like 2 oz per 5 gallons, but this sprayer is only 56 oz (not even 1/10th of the bottle mix).

Anyone have suggestions for PBW, BLC, and/or Star San?

My bottle of Star San reads 1oz to 5 gallons.

Back