My spider SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Ok, so I now find myself in a fairly empty house with much less human contact than I did....

Let's just say my life has been complicated, but my current situation involves no wife, no kids, no dogs, a lot of solitude.

Before, I would have thought a month of this would have been heaven. Now, it is a version of hell.

Your sympathies are appreciated, but I am OK. Now....down to business.

I
found a spider in the shower. One of the garden variety long thin legged spiders, with a non-descript small round body.

Said spider crawled out of the shower when I turned on the water and showered. I briefly entertained the thought of washing her down the drain. Glad I didn't.

She set op shop under the lip of the outside of the shower. A bad spot, in my opinion.

Later that day, I encountered a gnat (or some such small bug). I captured it, and on a whim transferred it to her web.....

She hid.

But later, I found her snacking.;)

Two days later I was apalled to find her dead....or so I thought.

A dead spider matching the general description was on the floor beneath her web, but upon closer inspection, I saw her crouched up under the lip of the shower in her normal hiding spot.:)

(yes, it has occurred to me that another spider came along, killed her and took her place, but please, leave me my small comfort)

There was amazing thunder that night, but no rain. I opened the door and who appeared?

A gigantic mayfly thingy. (mammoth mosquito, whatever)

I was so careful to catch this monster and fling it at her net, that it occurred to me too late to think that it might be TOO big.

That tiny lump isn't it's head. (curse my crappy camera phone, haven't found the "flower" setting) it is HER munching on it's head.

Too cool.
shpida.jpg

SHE IS EATING IT'S HEAD.

dude you need to brew some beer or make some wine you have way too much time on your hands.

Lol. Tried to make it bigger.

It is hard to explain, but time has made me better.

These small things are AWESOME.

I am sorry I have no vid to convey it.

But she is eating it's head.;)

When I thought she was dead, I was actually fairly bummed.

Cheezydemon3, Edgar Allan Poe reincarnated? Hmm. jk.

Hey man, not sure what life event changed badly but whatever is bothering you so much I hope things get better. Go brew a beer or call a couple friends or something. Take care of yourself. No matter how bad life gets, it will get better. Promise!

Thanks DAN. perhaps my perspective is skewed at the moment, but I am not RENFIELD. Can no one appreciate how cool she is? ;)

I have a terrible fear of spiders I am very allergic to them when I get bit it leaves huge blood read marks the size of baseball that are very painful and itch to no end.

I have a terrible fear of spiders I am very allergic to them when I get bit it leaves huge blood read marks the size of baseball that are very painful and itch to no end.

I have been bit by verified brown recluse, with little more than a persistant red spot. Maybe that is why I shoot webs out of my...er....wrists.

Thanks DAN. perhaps my perspective is skewed at the moment, but I am not RENFIELD. Can no one appreciate how cool she is? ;)

No man you're not renfield, however you did use that word to describe what you are not and I'm not sure what to think about that.

Yes there is spectacular beauty in God's creations, and for those who do not believe in God, their is intriguing wonder and beauty in nature that surrounds us.

You're explanation of don't feel sorry for me but then go on to say my house (at the time) has no wife, no kids no animals. Maybe it means something simple as they went on vacation and you're home alone; and for a person surrounded by family all the time that can be very devastating.

Just take care of yourself bro. HBT is a great place to find not only brew talk and guidance but companionship when a person needs some support.

I can't speak for everybody here on HBT but as brewers we have common interest and care about other like minded people.

OK.. pseudo dr dan out.

No man you're not renfield, however you did use that word to describe what you are not and I'm not sure what to think about that.

Yes there is spectacular beauty in God's creations, and for those who do not believe in God, their is intriguing wonder and beauty in nature that surrounds us.

You're explanation of don't feel sorry for me but then go on to say my house (at the time) has no wife, no kids no animals. Maybe it means something simple as they went on vacation and you're home alone; and for a person surrounded by family all the time that can be very devastating.

Just take care of yourself bro. HBT is a great place to find not only brew talk and guidance but companionship when a person needs some support.

I can't speak for everybody here on HBT but as brewers we have common interest and care about other like minded people.

OK.. pseudo dr dan out.

:mug:

Heh, I'm reading Dracula right now.

flies > spider > mouse > cat...

Awesome book.

That said, I have NO intent to eat her.;)

In fact, I am actively keeping her alive. I dirtied 2 socks trying to catch stuff for her to eat.

HaHa Not inside but right outside the door. She lived there for quite a while. I don;t mind spiders, they are great bug control. I used to love feeding the big black&yellow garden spiders that do the zigzag in the web.

Maybe off topic, but I'm not sure there is one...

Bats can't walk. That's a damn tough trade there. Flight for walking. But a bat is a mammal.

Now, I'd love to be a bird. Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Or an eagle.

HE clasps the crag with crooked hands;
Close to the sun in lonely lands,
Ringed with the azure world, he stands.
The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls;
He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt he falls.​

... It is hard to explain, but time has made me better.
These small things are AWESOME ... I thought she was dead, I was actually fairly bummed.

Master Po a blind Shaolin Lao Shi (teacher)and Kwai Chang Caine a young student are by a fountain in a garden at the temple. Master Po instructs his pupil.

Master Po: "Close your eyes. What do you hear?"

Young Caine (closing his eyes): "I hear the water. I hear a bird."

Master Po: "Do you hear your own heartbeat?"

Young Caine listens ... shakes his head: "No"

Master Po: "Or the grasshopper at your feet."

Caine looks down in surprise and sees the grasshopper jump as Master Po's staff disturbs it

Caine, amazed: "Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

Master Po: "Young man, how is it that you do not?"

When I lived in Monterey, I had a spider that lived in a bay window above my Keyboard Racks.
He or she was named Snyder.
Sometimes Snyder would drop down and sit on the Oberheim OB-8.
I think Snyder liked the filter sweeps.

If you feed them they grow, and keep growing.
I understand your place, having been there...
"even though I count the hours to be alone is no injury"
...song: Exiles, album: Lark's Tongue is Aspic, King Crimson.
hang in there, and the future will hold many changes.

I've always had a soft spot for spiders in the shower. I've spent minutes trying to rescue the little bastards, only to end up with a soggy tangle of legs.

As far as people who've been bitten by brown recluse, it is uncommon. What is much more common is a wolf spider to be carrying staph in its venom glands, and transmit a hideous flesh eating infection.

I like spiders.

Many years ago, I worked third shift in a gas station where I had to actually pump gas. Very little over night business gave me a lot of time to amuse myself. One night, I caught a fly in my hand. So, being a long haired freaky dude, I pulled a hair and actually tied one end around one leg on the fly. When a car finally came in for gas, I put a quarter on the counter with the end of the hair underneath to keep the fly from escaping, but alas, when I came back in the fly and the hair were gone. The next night, while wandering around the station, I noticed a spiderweb on the wall in a corner. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a little ball of spider wrap in the web, and upon closer inspection yet, I noticed a long hair coming out of the ball. I had found my pet fly. But not before the spider did.
True story.

Many years ago, I worked third shift in a gas station where I had to actually pump gas. Very little over night business gave me a lot of time to amuse myself. One night, I caught a fly in my hand. So, being a long haired freaky dude, I pulled a hair and actually tied one end around one leg on the fly. When a car finally came in for gas, I put a quarter on the counter with the end of the hair underneath to keep the fly from escaping, but alas, when I came back in the fly and the hair were gone. The next night, while wandering around the station, I noticed a spiderweb on the wall in a corner. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a little ball of spider wrap in the web, and upon closer inspection yet, I noticed a long hair coming out of the ball. I had found my pet fly.
True story.

woah, dude.

You guys are freaking me out. Jeebus.

(btw, I used to pump gas too; check oil while it's filling; clean the windshields; those days are LONG gone)

Can no one appreciate how cool she is? ;)

I can appreciate her. I've watched spiders & other creatures for decades. Most people don't realize that there is a regular "Wild Kingdom" in their own backyard and/or basement.
FYI: that dead spider you found might have been her mate, some species of spiders & insects kill & eat the male after mating.

I used to feed a praying mantis that lived on the porch light most of last summer, it was fun watching her snatch a live moth from my fingers & chow down on it.

If you really want some fun, buy a tub of ladybugs at your lcl home & garden center or hardware store; just be sure you open it outside. Any place that carries ladybugs will often also carry praying mantis egg cases. It's pretty cool to see all those baby mantids hatching out & running around; you can't keep 'em all together though, cuz they'll eat each other.

Both ladybugs & mantids are very beneficial as they eat pest species. If you're interested in other beneficial insects, have a look at this:
http://www.arbico-organics.com/category/beneficial-insects-predators-parasites
Regards, GF.

I made friends with a frog once. It was one of the most rewarding relationships I ever had.

Spiders are definitely fun to have as pets. I had an office spider, but the dang cleaner folks removed him one night. I was not impressed.

My better half had a pet spider once as well. Named the little 8 legged guy 'Huit', as apparently that's 8 in French.

Lol, she is undaunted by my (almost) daily showers. She is on the outside of the shower.

Need something for her to eat. It is a bit early for many bugs here.

Back