Homemade Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of the concentric immersion wort chiller I fabricated today while watching our boy Martin Gerber shut out the mighty Canadian hockey team this morning. 50' of 3/8" O.D. copper wound in an 8" diameter coil, surrounded by a 10" diameter coil. I stole the idea from an e-Bay vendor.
I'm hoping this configuration will cut my wort chilling time from 20 minutes down to 10-15 minutes. My old 25' chiller will be used as a "pre-chiller" for summertime brewing.
I trust that someone will let me know if the copper wire that I used to bundle and seperate the coils has arsenic in it. :D

o09mc4.jpg

Winding inner 8" coil
o09ok8.jpg

Winding outer 10" coil
o09pc2.jpg

Finished product

Yeah, sorry for the full-scale pics, I am not a computer whiz. I should have had one of my kids help with the upload. LOL
Jeff

looks good, ya i tried my new chiller today for the first time, cut down chill time from 30-40 mins to about 10 mins.

You'd be proud of me, Walker, I did it real cheap. Copper tubing I got free, plastic tubing was $2, hose barb was $5, plus about 1 hour labor.
Jeff

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
You'd be proud of me, Walker, I did it real cheap. Copper tubing I got free, plastic tubing was $2, hose barb was $5, plus about 1 hour labor.
Jeff

Nice score on the free copper!

-walker

Back