Yeast activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinfiddler

Reaction score
I brewed 10gal yesterday and split it into two fermenters. In one I pitched WLP001 California Ale and in the other Saflager American lager US05.

I made a starter for both. The WL has taken off but the Saflager is doing nada. (incidently the Saflager was rockin and rollin in the starter). I peeked into the bucket and there is a thick covering sitting on top but no airlock activity.

Could I have underpitched it? I have another packet of the yeast. Should I pitch that one as well?

JW

I'm no expert but I have had my share of slow starts. I would wait till tomorrow to pitch any more yeast. You could wake up tomorrow morning and it will be like you had a visit from ol' Santa.

McGeek

Well I had a similar problem, though mine was more a stupidity issue.

I had no airlock activity for 24 hours so I decided I would give it a good stir. After I pried the lid off I noticed quite an amount of krausen and bubbles so I popped the lid back on and realized I was getting a leak from the rubber gromit in the airlock hole.

So you might want to check that you have no leaks.

You might be on to something there. I notice that the bucket of concern is VERY fragrant. It smells great but I wonder if the CO2 is escaping somehow other than through the air lock i.e. lid or stopper. I notice the lid does not snap down as tightly as the does the other bucket lid.

Thanks

JW

I know it a old post but I've had the same problem! I have a small indent in the top of the bucket that lets out air threw the lid. I hate buckets!

I also used saflager s-23 Its been 20 hours and its going to town at room temp. Its time to move it to my cool closet 61 F

Latest posts

Back