Anyone have a PM Hefe-Wizen recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hefe recipes are as simple as they come. However much grain you can mash, split that 50/50 between Pils malt and wheat malt. Get the rest of your gravity, up to ~1050 or so, with wheat DME (which should be about 50/50 barley/wheat). Bitter to around 25IBUs with Hallertau, ounces depends on AA% and boil volume. Single, 60-minute addition. Hefe yeast. Done.

Ok, I'm glad it is simple, but I have more questions. First I will tell you this would be my second PM and the first was a kit which had me do little more than just steeping. I have a 5 gal Igloo (like the gott) cooler for the mash tun and a 7.5 gal brew pot (I always do 6 gal boils with no problems). I also just downloaded the trial verison of Beersmth to test out. So, I don't know how much grain I can mash (anyone?). Also when you say "50/50 Pils malt and wheat malt" you don't mean extract do you?

Thanks for your help.

So how does this look?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Töpperweing Hefe-Wizen Beer
Brewer: Töpperwein Brewery
Asst Brewer:
Style: Bavarian Weizen (Weissbier)
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 25.00 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 37.50 %
3 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 37.50 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
5.00 gal Dallas, TX Water
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 7.50 qt of water at 164.2 F 150.0 F

I would change the extract to DME unless you have a LHBS that sells LME by the pound. Most places only sell it by 3 lbs. DME keeps a lot better to.

Unless you are sure you'll get 75% efficiency you might want to lower your assumption just to be safe.

And I would recommend DME also if you can.

JnJ said:
Title says it, I want to try a Hefe partial mash next.

That's cool. here's a recipe:

Partial Mash: 2lbs German Wheat Malt, 2lbs German 2 row malt, 1/4 lb Munich malt. Place a grain bag into the mash vessel such that it laps over the outer rim and fills the vessel. pour in 4.75 qts water and bring to 155f. don't worry about what the bag is doing as long as it stays laped over the top. Mash-in the malt mix into the bag. the water will fall to ~150f. Be carefull to prevent dough balls by stirring.. Hold the mash temp. at 150f for 90min., stirring the malt about once in awhile and checking temp. In thr mean time, toward the end of the sacc. rest, bring about 4 qt water to 168f. At the end of the rest, gather the top of the bag together and lift it from the vessel. Gently, slowly, pour the 168f water over the grain bag and let it filter through until used up. Keep holding the bag up for a while till it is just dripping a bit. Remove the bag.
Now, bring your ~2.75 gal of wort to a boil and remove from the burner. Add 3 3/4 lb Wheat DME and 1oz German Halertau Hersbrucker (~ 3% AA ) to the vessel. Stirr it up good to prevent scorching, cause the boil is coming up. Boil for 60 min. Put a bunch of ice in your sink and fill 1/2 full with water. set the vessel into the ice bath to cool, stirring to bring the temp down to 70f. Strain the wort into a sanitized carboy or bucket, and add boiled and cooled (70f) water to bring the volume up to 5 gal. Now pitch your fat smack pack into the wort. Use 3056 or 3333. Afix the lock. When the krauesen falls and you see little activity, rack to secondary. When everthing is dead still, bottle using your favorite method. That's it. Hope it helps. :)

Thanks for the responses guys. Good point on the DME and the efficiency. Should I drop it to about 70% for now? Also I want to batch sparge but the wheat malts I’m looking at recommend a protein rest, is this necessary?
OldFarmer, thanks for the recipe, I might try that one also. I can skip the whole grain bag sine I have a mash tun.

JnJ said:
Thanks for the responses guys. Good point on the DME and the efficiency. Should I drop it to about 70% for now? Also I want to batch sparge but the wheat malts I’m looking at recommend a protein rest, is this necessary?

It's not necessary, and given that it's only three pounds of wheat malt, I wouldn't bother with the protein rest.

Alright, I knocked the efficiency down to 70% and used Wheat DME, look better?
Recipe: Töpperwein Hefe-Wizen Beer
Brewer: Töpperwein Brewery
Asst Brewer:
Style: Bavarian Weizen (Weissbier)
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM