Is one week in primary enough for an Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesalvo

Reaction score
Brewed an Oatmeal Stout 9 days ago. Its def. the fullest bodied beer Ive brewed so far. Fermentation is halted, and Im thinking about going to secondary. Does a beer this big need more than 9 days in a primary. My plan was to go to secondary for an additional 2 OR 3 weeks. Thoughts/suggestions?

That's fine. If you're using a clearing vessel ("secondary"), now would be a good time.

Yup, moving from 6 gallon plastic>5 gallon glass. It must be hard to tell when a n oatmeal stout is "clear, huh? How long would you say in secondary?

Why transfer at all? Unless you need the primary, I don't see much of an advantage to transferring it. My .02 anyway.

Why transfer at all? Unless you need the primary, I don't see much of an advantage to transferring it. My .02 anyway.

I'm with you - keep in primary for the 3-weeks. Anything less than a month and I won't even consider racking.

^^^^I don't use a secondary unless I'm adding something. Let it sit in primary for a few weeks and let the yeast work would be my advice. Though if you are wanting to secondary, you'd be OK doing it now.

Cheers!

I have an oatmeal stout sitting at 3 weeks wright now in the primary. Not planning on shifting it to a secondary. How long should I let it sit. I was thinking about 4-5 weeks before I bottle.

my oatmeal stout spent three or four weeks (don't make me do math) in primary, just bottled friday and will probably need at least a month to be drinkable
compare this to a pale ale where you can get away with two weeks and three weeks easily
don't rush it!

I'm not a fan of the ultra-long primary. I usually package my beers by week three, sometimes earlier.

If a beer has been at FG for a while, and is clear, it's ready to be packaged. It can always get more time conditioning in the bottle. I don't like to bottle too early, though, while the beer isn't clear as then you get more gunk in the bottle.

I'm not a fan of the ultra-long primary. I usually package my beers by week three, sometimes earlier.

If a beer has been at FG for a while, and is clear, it's ready to be packaged. It can always get more time conditioning in the bottle. I don't like to bottle too early, though, while the beer isn't clear as then you get more gunk in the bottle.

What would you say for a beer that is going to be kegged? This beer has users saying 4 months is how long it needs to condition... would you do 3 weeks in primary, and 9 in secondary, or 3 weeks in primary and 9 in a pressurized keg?

I go with 3 weeks in primary and 9 weeks in a pressurized keg, but it pretty much is personal preference/experience as to which works for you.

My oatmeal stout was in primary 3 weeks, then bottled. Very clear. After one week in bottle I popped one. Very smooth and tasty!!! Cant wait to try one after 2 weeks!

Back