Irish Whiskey Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
There's Scotch Beer which is apparently a beer inspired by Scotch. I rather prefer Irish whiskey to Scotch (Jameson!) so I thought it would be an interesting experiment sometime down the line to do something like a Scotch beer but Irish whiskey inspired instead of Scotch inspired.

Apparently Irish whiskey generally (and Jameson specifically) has up to 60% unmalted barley. Hmmmm, if I used 60% roast barley in a beer it would be completely undrinkable. What to use to get a Irish whiskey-ish taste? A limited bit of roast barley? Raw barley? Torrefied barley? Oak chips? Oak chips soaked in whiskey? Just being lazy and dumping some whiskey in the secondary?

Any ideas?

I don' t have any suggestions but that sounds damn tasty to me so if you whip something together let me know how it turns out.

Might want to try the oak chips soaked in irish whiskey, that sound spretty good. I wouldn't get too carried away with them though, maybe a half to an ounce in the secondary for a week or two.

Cheers

Pouring whiskey into it isn't lazy. I don't think you're going to get a whiskey taste otherwise. Soak a half-ounce of oak cubes in about a cup of whiskey for a week or two. Then throw all that into the secondary.

Back