Using Vienna malt as base malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fungusamungas

Reaction score
I brew partial mash due to space and heating constraints, my brew method is as follows; I usually use pilnser malt as a base malt then throw in some other grains. My ratio is around 7lb grains 4 lbs DME. I put in about 2 gal of water in pot and put the grains in a big ol grain bag. the bag barely fits in the pot! Protien rest at 135 and raise temp to 155. I use an oven preheated to warm, 160 degrees and per iodine test have always mashed out. Then I put the grain bag on a collender, heat some sparge water to 170 and pour over grain bag until about 3 gallons in pot , then boil. I only add DME after boil is done, I dont believe in boiling DME as it has had the hell boiled out of it to turn it into powder.
Anyway,
Searching the web I've been reading that one can use Munich as a base malt. I just made a Vienna lager, 5 lb pilsner malt, 1/2 lb special B. 1/2 lb aromatic and 4 lbs DME, it's still in primary. Now I'm thinking of 5lb of Munich instead of regular base malt.
I'm also going to do a schwarzbier, black lager and maybe use Maris otter as base malt, with some chocolate and special B instead of 2 row or pilsner.
Yeah, I love lagers, not into ales so much. If you have had experience with using base malts other then two row, please let me know!
:mug:

The more Vienna I add to an AG recipe, the "thicker" the beer seems to be. Not so much "malty" as just thick. I dinno. Maybe the Vienna just doesn't ferment quite as dry as a 2-row or pilsner.

I think it will depend on what flavor and mouth-feel you're looking for. If you want a drier, crisper beer, I'd hesitate to use Vienna as a base.

I think partial mashing 5lbs of Munich would be fine. You might not want to use Munich extract, that might be too much.

I am not sure if you check your efficiency, but if you use all Munich you might not get great conversion. A combination of Munich and 2-row or pilsner would probably result in better conversion.

I've used three pounds of Munich in an IPA that was very well-received, came out great. Doubt I would use much more than that except in a bock or something else that really calls for it. But, for bocks, dopplebocks, and the like, you can use Munich as your base malt, although you'll often use a little bit of pils malt as well for "insurance" since Munich doesn't have quite as many enzymes (enough, but if you're decocting and killing some off...).

But, I think you can be fairly aggressive with Munich, moresom than I see reflected in lots of recipes. I see a lot with like six ounces, and I wonder what the point is.

the_bird said:
But, I think you can be fairly aggressive with Munich, moresom than I see reflected in lots of recipes. I see a lot with like six ounces, and I wonder what the point is.

Yeah you can add substantial amounts of Munich. It is a great style of malt imo. Small amounts are going to be hard to notice.

In addition be careful as some maltsters have some very low diastatic numbers for their Munich....Briess in particular is really low. Vienna on the other hand is usually really high in dp.

I do PM for all my brews. I've done a PM with all Munich and crystal, with XLDME late extract addition.........turned out great for an IPA.

Back