Make wine in bucket without glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zurd

Reaction score
Hi, been doing wine for a few years now, never had problem, but now my glass carboy that I use for secondary fermentation starts to have little crack in it and I find them extremely difficult to clean. Anyone makes wine in only buckets?

I don't bulk age my wine, I let it ferment for only 28 days before bottling in glass bottle, so I don't think it will have time to oxydate in the bucket since there's a lot of headspace, or will it?

I make blueberry wine and do it all in plastic buckets for primary and in plastic carboys for secondary. My wine takes 4 months before I bottle it and it turns out excellent.

When the wine is fermenting, no O2 can penetrate as CO2 is being outgassed, and it would take a while for gasses to mix IMO.

If you are only keeping it in there for a month, you should definitely be fine. Better Bottles are also great alternatives to glass carboys, try doing a search on the forum.

Also, if you have not gotten rid of that cracked carboy, please do so immediately. Those things have racked up more than their fair share of ER visits, and I have heard stories of "spontaneous carboy explosions".

Used buckets several times w/ no ill effects. I had a peach in a bucket for 6 months and it's the best wine I've ever made.

Back