Trying to hop up my brew - English/American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDrunkChef

Reaction score
what do you think for a multicultural IPA-

1 oz Magnum @ 60

1 oz Kent Goldings @ 60

1 oz Kent Goldings @ 10

.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 0

Either 1 oz KG or Vanguard for dryhop in secondary?

I'm curious whether or not the Magnum will work with the other 2 varieties, and if the Vanguard will work for the dryhop or if I should just stick with another oz of the Kent Goldings?

The magnum woud work, but I would probably up the KG's if you're putting in a whole 2 ounces at 60 min. Your beer will be very bitter. You need to balance the aroma and flavor with it. I'd say dry hop with 2-3 oz. And up the 10 min. KG to 2oz. Just my opinion though.

My thoughts:

-Even though Magnum is a US hop, it will leave no typical American hop flavors if used at 60 minutes.
-I would let it go with all Kent Goldings (and the Magnum for bittering).
-Depending on the AA% of the Magnum, I bet you can move the KG from 60 to later in the boil. For an English IPA I would run the BU:GU (IBUs:OG) ratio around 0.80. Depending on your grain bill, adjust the Magnum from there.
-If it is not needed, take that 1oz Goldings from 60 minutes to between 10 and 0 minutes.

I think you are on the way to making a very nice English IPA that should really showcase the Kent Golding hops.

OK i was curious whether the KG was even needed at 60. the magnum should do the bittering and the KG will be for flavor and aroma.

The adjusted hop bill is-

1 oz Magnum @ 60

2 oz KG @ 10

2 oz KG for secondary dry hop 7 days

I feel more comfortable with this overall, thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back