British Grain and Grind Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdtexas

Reaction score
Two quick questions that are somewhat unrelated

1. is there a marked difference in taste between Maris Otter or a British 2 Row variety and American 2 Row? I like English Beers and understand the lovibond is slightly higher with British but wonder if it justifies the cost

2. does anyone their grain through the LHBS mill twice to get better efficiency? I am considering purchasing a Corona style mill but thought that perhaps the crush issue could be remedied by doing a double crush. Is this asking for trouble?

Thanks

Hi and welcome.

Marris Otter will give a unique result, although some brewers claim to get somwhat similiar characteristics w/ the use of American two row malt and specialty grain. Perhaps Vienna or biscuit malt?? Not quite sure.

Some have found that two passes through the mill at their LHBS has yeilded a better crush. This is more a result of the mills adjustment, rather than the mill itself, IMO.

IME, the corona type mills only require one pass of the grain if adjusted properly. Actually, if the mill is set a bit tight, overcrushing will occcur.

Briess makes a two row malt at a slightly higher lovibond, I believe its called Pale Ale Malt. It's comparable, I believe.

Back