Farmer's market = lactose, flaked barley, flaked oats!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
It has taken awhile, but my local farmer's market got my lactose in. I saw they stocked NOW products, so I asked them to order some lactose. Because of some missteps on their part, it took awhile, but I got it-- $3.89/lb. I plan to add the 11 oz I needed at kegging for my cream stout.

I also noticed in the bulk bins some flaked barley-$0.79/lb :)and some flaked oats, didn't get the price.

Point of this, those who don't live near a hbs may be able to find some ingredients at a market of this type. Don't be afraid to ask for special orders, either.:D

I buy flaked barley and flaked wheat at the local Whole Foods for about $0.79/lb like you say. I usually snag a few pounds when I go through.

I get mine at the health food store near work. I buy lactose, flaked anything and honey for ~1/2 what it goes for at the LHBS or online.

Funny thing I found this. I was just in an organic food store last week and saw bulk oats, wheat and barley for like 0.60/lb. I took a mental note. I did not look to see if they had lactose, but I would assume they do too.

Funny thing I found this. I was just in an organic food store last week and saw bulk oats, wheat and barley for like 0.60/lb. I took a mental note. I did not look to see if they had lactose, but I would assume they do too.

If they don't stock it, look to see what their major brand name of supplements is, then check on your 'puter to see if that company markets it. If so, take this info back to the store and ask them to get a pound or two with the next order.

I learned a lesson when I first called around to find a store that stocked it. More than one store, upon my calling, reported back that, "Yes we do have LACTAID". I had to say no thanks to this. I wanted my stout to have and like lactose, not merely tolerate it!

Back