Good God Almighty, It's ready!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHerc

Reaction score
My first batch is ready to bottle. It's been in the primary for 20 days. Stable SG from the hydrometer. Man, I'm not sure if homebrewing is for me. The waiting game just kills me. I think my solution is to have more primary fermenters to have multiple batches at the same time. I took a small sample and it was pretty darn good for a flat beer.

Here's an ethical question, is it wrong for my 8 year old daughter to help me bottle this stuff?

WooooHoooooo!!!

Build the pipeline, my man!!

As far as ethics go, I am not one to offer advice... but bottling should be fine, helping you empty bottles for the next batch might be iffy, though.

Nothing wrong with letting your daughter help out, I know mine really enjoys the "daddy-daughter" time no matter what we're doing.

I hear you on the waiting, I secondary most of my beers after 10 days just so I can free up my primary for another batch. I've had 2 going at once since late August :D

Dude, she's as pumped as I am to put this stuff in a bottle. But, I couldn't pay her to take a sip, not that I would anyway. She just likes to make stuff, you ought to see her in our garden.

What kinda beer is it? 20 days is 10 longer than I let my first beer go! THE solution is to have many, many primaries. I have 7 in use now, and two more I could press into service at any time.

8yr old bottling beer? eigh. either way, It'd give ya'll some quality time. Might even open the convo as to why alcohol is bad if you're underage. You can be an example of responsible use.

congrats. get ready for the best beer you've ever drank! where yuh from?

It's a brown ale extract kit from the LHBS. We're from central Arkansas. I think the next attempt will have to be a partial mash IPA, done according to Deathbrewers method. More Primaries is definitely a must, I can see why most of you guys have so many beers going at once in your sigs.

The waiting has been killing me also and this is not my first time as a brewer. I brewed for years a long time ago and when I started again a couple months ago I have simply gone nuts with it.

I have 5 primaries going right now. plus 2 secondaries. Yet, because I'm supposed to bottle a batch tomorrow I am already getting excited that I will have a free carboy and can brew again.

The waiting has been killing me also and this is not my first time as a brewer. I brewed for years a long time ago and when I started again a couple months ago I have simply gone nuts with it.

I have 5 primaries going right now. plus 2 secondaries. Yet, because I'm supposed to bottle a batch tomorrow I am already getting excited that I will have a free carboy and can brew again.

I hear that. I am big time disappointed that my brown ale is going to need more primary time because it delays the next batch by about a week. Oh well, what can you do (besides buy an @$$ ton of carboys ;))

Congrats on getting the first batch to bottling day.

> The waiting game just kills me.

It gets easier when you have a few batches in the pipeline.

> I think my solution is to have more primary fermenters to have multiple batches at the same time.

Right. Or at least keeping the primary filled at all times.

> Here's an ethical question, is it wrong for my 8 year old daughter to help me bottle this stuff?

It's a great idea. You get a chance to spend time together, practice hand/eye dexterity, and discuss the responsible use of alchohol if you think it's appropriate. Remember that the deity of brewing is a goddess and females have historically been incredibly important in household brewing, particularly in ancient times. Circle of life and all that.

why not sneak a batch of root beer or some kind of soda one of these days? I think it would be great to be able to make something your daughter could help with and also be able to enjoy :)

Might even open the convo as to why alcohol is bad if you're underage.

Alcohol is bad if you're underage...? There's a new one. :mug:

Maybe 8, but by 16-18, there's nothing wrong with a little underage revelry, provided there's no driving involved. Just my $0.02.

Show of hands by everyone that waited until they turned 21.... didn't think so.

why not sneak a batch of root beer or some kind of soda one of these days? I think it would be great to be able to make something your daughter could help with and also be able to enjoy :)

My little helper did say she wanted to brew some birch beer. That'll definitely be one of our future projects. BTW, we went on our first deer hunting trip this morning. Didn't see anything but had fun anyway.

Back