Roasted Chili Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
So i've read a bunch about brewing with chili peppers both on the forums here and in BYO magazine and am planning on a 3gallon batch this coming columbus day. My issue is not which peppers or which stage i'm going to add the peppers, but what ingredients I should be using. I've found a recipe for a chili wheat beer, but I wanted to brew something more along the lines of a golden ale. Being the noob that I am I found that this could be one of a few things to which I'm still not sure what I want.

What I'm going for pre-pepper is a light golden crisp ale that is lightly hopped. Could anyone offer some suggestions as to a recipe that might fit the above description. I'd be looking to do an extract or partial mash batch.

Thanks in advance
~Kyle

I'll be doing a pepper beer this weekend. I contacted Bill Wrobel from Dragonmead in Warren this summer after sampling their Ring of Fire last Feb. at MI's winter beer festival. Their base beer is a Cream Ale with 1 lb. of hot peppers per barrel. About 2.5 ounces for a five gallon batch. I have not used a kit for a while, but I'm using a BB Cream Ale kit for this, with around .5 lb. agave nectar added, maybe the whole lb. I vacuum packed and froze one oz. each jalepeno, serrano, and super chili from the the garden to use. They split each pepper, one of the halves into the boil at strike, the other roasted and into the fermenter. The kit had 2lbs. light DME and 3.3 lbs. light LME. I'll add the DME upon boil and the rest along with the nectar at 15 min. Hops are 1 oz. Vanguard for bittering and .5 oz. Vanguard at 15 min. I'll scrap the Munton's yeast and use Safale-05 or Notty, not sure which yet. Not sure if this helps but I happen to be brewing the same thing and thought I'd share.

I'll be doing a pepper beer this weekend. I contacted Bill Wrobel from Dragonmead in Warren this summer after sampling their Ring of Fire last Feb. at MI's winter beer festival. Their base beer is a Cream Ale with 1 lb. of hot peppers per barrel. About 2.5 ounces for a five gallon batch. I have not used a kit for a while, but I'm using a BB Cream Ale kit for this, with around .5 lb. agave nectar added, maybe the whole lb. I vacuum packed and froze one oz. each jalepeno, serrano, and super chili from the the garden to use. They split each pepper, one of the halves into the boil at strike, the other roasted and into the fermenter. The kit had 2lbs. light DME and 3.3 lbs. light LME. I'll add the DME upon boil and the rest along with the nectar at 15 min. Hops are 1 oz. Vanguard for bittering and .5 oz. Vanguard at 15 min. I'll scrap the Munton's yeast and use Safale-05 or Notty, not sure which yet. Not sure if this helps but I happen to be brewing the same thing and thought I'd share.

that sounds very interesting. could you let me know how it comes out? I decided to put it on hold for the time being so I can get my brew surplus up and running, and once i have a decent amount in bottle i'll start experimenting.

thanks for the help guys! :ban:

I think the recipe really revolves around the type of chili you're going to be using. I mean a serrano beer should have totally different base ingrediants than an ancho chili or bird's eye chilis

Back