Apfelwein aging: In the fermenter or bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Made my first 6 gal. batch of Ed's Apfelwein about a month ago (first part of September). From what I've read here, time really makes this stuff.

Just wondering about experienced apfelwein makers opions: am I better off leaving it bulk age in the fermenter (glass carboy) for awhile before bottling or bottle it and let it age in the bottle?

My original plan was to let it go about six weeks in the fermenter and then some months in the bottle. I was hoping this stuff would be tasting pretty good by xmas...

Oh, one more question! How much priming sugar do you use per gallon?
(my plan is to naturally carbonate 3 gals in 22 oz. bottles and bottle the other 3 gals still, so I can compare for my next batch!)

Thanks!!

I say let it bulk age untill it's crystal clear, at that point it doesn't matter if you age in bottles or in the carboy. If you bottle it before it's realllly clear you'll get more sediment.

1 oz priming sugar, by weight, per gallon. This is based on corn sugar.

Yup.
I keg it now...but I'd also recommend bottling after it's good and clear...then get another batch going. Really...I try not to even think about it till it's 6 months old...but it takes some effort, and some willpower to build that pipeline!

Yup.
I keg it now...but I'd also recommend bottling after it's good and clear...then get another batch going. Really...I try not to even think about it till it's 6 months old...but it takes some effort, and some willpower to build that pipeline!

+1 for filling the pipe. The stuff that I have left that is a bit over a year is just so good now, much better than it was. I rack to a keg after about sixe weeks and bulk age it for as long as I can stand, the trick is just to keep pouring more juice on that cake. I just started to do that rather than repitch and it speeds things up a bit.

Thanks for the good info, guys.

I have a feeling you are right about keeping the pipeline going! This stuff must be good, cause EVERYONE gives me that same advise!!!

Guess I will just re pitch on the cake! Great idea, there.
(I do it with beer, but never thought about it with cider)

What's the consensus on still vs. carbonated???

Back