Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The question I have now is, once fermentation started did you transfer from one container to another one? That to me would be going from primary to secondary. And if this is Pedio then it might give it some good funk if you let it age. Also make a note of all equipment that has touched it since you pitched the yeast. You may need to get rid of it, or set it aside for funky beers. I had an infection that carried along for 4-5 batches and once I changed out a few pieces of gear it stopped.

Hi JosephN
Yes I think it might be the tube that quite old and lot of reason make it infected, really pissed for the first time infected beer so I will dump it all soon as it is become like this picture now, this is the good experience.

image.jpg

Hi JosephN

Yes I think it might be the tube that quite old and lot of reason make it infected, really pissed for the first time infected beer so I will dump it all soon as it is become like this picture now, this is the good experience.

What beer style did you brew? I would seriously keep it for now and maybe let it age at room temp, if possible for you. Give it some time and just taste it to see what you have. People pay good money for what you might have. Keep in mind anything that touches it will be dirty, and might be able to be cleaned, but also might not.

What's the difference between the broken ice looking infections and the oil slick looking stuff I've seen on some brews, mine included?

What about the attached?

Warning, total amateur talking: We used DME in the recipe with a lot of boil over management needed so I thought maybe we didn't cook things long enough, the sugars weren't fully broken down, and crystallized on the surface.

I also ferment in a bottling bucket with spigot and the initial draw of beer (from just above the yeast layer) at time of bottling had a gravity reading of 1.040. Compare with a FG of 1.010 for the rest of the batch and OG of 1.056. I thought the 1.040 was very odd and of course, the initial draw tasted very sweet! The FG reading calmed me a bit but then I saw what was inside the bottles and now I'm sure it's ruined.

Thanks for any insight!

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

Hi JosephN

Oh yeah, that looks really good!

Why dump it now? Let it ride and you may have a great sour in a few months.

What about the attached?

Warning, total amateur talking: We used DME in the recipe with a lot of boil over management needed so I thought maybe we didn't cook things long enough, the sugars weren't fully broken down, and crystallized on the surface.

I also ferment in a bottling bucket with spigot and the initial draw of beer (from just above the yeast layer) at time of bottling had a gravity reading of 1.040. Compare with a FG of 1.010 for the rest of the batch and OG of 1.056. I thought the 1.040 was very odd and of course, the initial draw tasted very sweet! The FG reading calmed me a bit but then I saw what was inside the bottles and now I'm sure it's ruined.

Thanks for any insight!

Did you add any priming sugar or tabs to the bottles? I would also be very careful because if this is an infection and pressure builds up too high then your bottles will explode at random times.

As for fermenting in a bottling bucket that you're gonna bottle out of, well unless you use carb tabs it seems like you'd have a tough time adding that without another chance of infection. Also DME I would think would eventually break down and wouldn't cause any kind of oily layer at the top. I think this is possibly an infection and one that I would most likely dump. It kind of reminds me of the one I had that carried on for 4-5 batches. You could let it ride for now and check a bottle at least after a week and see if it volcanos or has an acid taste.

What about the attached?

Thanks for any insight!

I'm not sure what you're saying or asking. What sugars weren't fully broken down and crystallized? All the malt powder needs to be dissolved, keep stirring, turn the heat off while doing that.

Fermenting in a bottling bucket can have some drawbacks. The spigot and its rubber washers need to be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized or an infection will travel into your beer, sooner or later. Those plastic spigots that turn sideways have to be pulled apart. That crevice between the 2 rotating 3/4" barrels is a bug trap!

Why did you draw off and try to bottle 1.040 beer? No surprise it got infected, all that sugar and almost no alcohol to prevent "bugs" to have a feast.

Your beer in the bucket looks fine. Those tan floaters are probably yeast rafts.

Did you taste it yet? Is it indeed at 1.010?

This is actually very helpful. I dumped my first batch because I was sure it was infected. I didn't have any of these visible signs and I really thought I took care to sanitize. My first batch, infected or not, was a failure in terms of drinkability but I have taken something away from every batch I've done (three). That first batch taught me if you think its sanitized, sanitize again. But also be patient. I rushed through so many steps. I've since slowed down and the results have been good (not great but come on, I'm not a phenom

First of all, we as brewers are not breaking down long chain sugars into the short chain ones the yeasties can eat. We are mashing the grains to allow the enzymes in the kernels to convert starches into sugars. Both long chain (unfermentables for color & flavor) & short chain (fermentable). It is the yeasties that can only convert short chain sugar molecules into alcohol & Co2.
And remember, fermentation is a nasty, foul smelling business sometimes. So don't freak out & dump it because you're just sure it should smell like an angel's arse & doesn't.

Did you add any priming sugar or tabs to the bottles? I would also be very careful because if this is an infection and pressure builds up too high then your bottles will explode at random times.

Priming sugar (boiled to sterilize) was added when I transferred the beer to a second bottling bucket. And thanks for the heads up about the bottles. I bottled about 10 days ago so I just checked one and it's only slightly carbonated.

You could let it ride for now and check a bottle at least after a week and see if it volcanos or has an acid taste.

I tasted one bottle and it wasn't acidic but perhaps, silky? It left a weird coating in my mouth, although it still had the usual aroma for a Belgian Ale :) The flavour wasn't quite right although I haven't done this recipe before.

Fermenting in a bottling bucket can have some drawbacks. The spigot and its rubber washers need to be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized or an infection will travel into your beer, sooner or later. Those plastic spigots that turn sideways have to be pulled apart. That crevice between the 2 rotating 3/4" barrels is a bug trap!

I think this was the issue. I pulled the spigot off a few days ago and noticed how dirty it was. The weirdness of the 1.040 initial draw vs the 1.010 of the rest of the beer (see below) suggests to me that bacteria took over at the bottom of the fermenter.... thoughts?

Why did you draw off and try to bottle 1.040 beer? No surprise it got infected, all that sugar and almost no alcohol to prevent "bugs" to have a feast.

It was only the initial draw from the spigot (perhaps 500 ml) that measured 1.040. It came out very cloudy so I stopped the flow from the spigot and measured the gravity, getting 1.040. However, when I started the flow from the spigot again, the beer came out clear. The gravity of the rest of the batch was 1.010.

Did you taste it yet? Is it indeed at 1.010?

I tasted both the initial volume that was 1.040 and the final volume that was 1.010. The 1.040 was definitely sweet, supporting the 1.040 reading. The 1.010 tasted normal, at least when it was straight out of the fermenter.

See above, but I just tasted one bottle and it tasted silky and just not right, I think I'm going to dump this batch :/

Can you describe the silkiness a bit more? Is it sheer mouthfeel or flavor? Does it taste like butter or that sauce they pour over your popcorn at the movies?

How does the beer look when you pour it? Does it look thick?

Can you describe the silkiness a bit more? Is it sheer mouthfeel or flavor? Does it taste like butter or that sauce they pour over your popcorn at the movies?

How does the beer look when you pour it? Does it look thick?

Sorry, I'm going to have a hard to describing the flavour. But...

For the silkiness, it's just mouthfeel. I want to say there's a slight slight slight grit like the coffee-grounds at the bottom of the pot. The flavour isn't actually that bad as the Belgian yeast did it's job and the beer smells fine, but something is off. I'd say it has more bitterness than I'd expect for a Belgian but it's also only been in the bottles for a week.

No movie popcorn flavour, the beer pours OK, and might be the clearest I've made yet. Who knows.

IMG_0916.JPG

What beer style did you brew? I would seriously keep it for now and maybe let it age at room temp, if possible for you. Give it some time and just taste it to see what you have. People pay good money for what you might have. Keep in mind anything that touches it will be dirty, and might be able to be cleaned, but also might not.

It's pale ale style but less bitter.
My own style, i've done last batch with all same things and same process without any issue and i left the head space in secondary same as this current batch, it was turn out awesome.

It looks good. It might be fine, but sometimes an infection takes a while to really raise its ugly head. Example, my bottles took nearly 3-4 months to really start popping. So drink it fast, haha.

Having only been in the bottles one week, it could be a lil green yet. No head or carbonation in the pic, so I think it could be a lil green yet & not fully carbed.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455778243.417078.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455778262.299809.jpg

First two are of a 2nd Flanders red pitched onto an 18 month old roselare cake. Edit:* I brewed this one in late December.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455778471.631868.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455778489.533608.jpg
2nd 2 are of the 18month old beer racked to secondary which later developed another pellicle. Both have undergone a hardcore change since i last checked on them 3 weeks ago. Wish I still had the pics I took 3 weeks ago for comparison. What do you think? Look like a normal roselare cake? Why are they so different looking?

I've noticed that " secondary" pellicles don't look as aggressive as the original. At least, not for awhile. It'll likely take a while to get as full looking as the original. Even though it runs all through the beer, the part on top is the colony.

View attachment 338271View attachment 338272

First two are of a 2nd Flanders red pitched onto an 18 month old roselare cake. Edit:* I brewed this one in late December.
View attachment 338273View attachment 338274
2nd 2 are of the 18month old beer racked to secondary which later developed another pellicle. Both have undergone a hardcore change since i last checked on them 3 weeks ago. Wish I still had the pics I took 3 weeks ago for comparison. What do you think? Look like a normal roselare cake? Why are they so different looking?

Each and every pellicle is different. They are formed to protect against oxygen. If there is little oxygen then sometimes a pellicle may not even form. I have several sours going and have a couple that barely have a pellicle at all, because I have not opened up the carboy to even test them yet. One was brewed last May (9months ago) and it barely has any pellicle. They have plenty of bugs in them, so once I open the carboy to take a sample there is a good chance that a pellicle will form.

the part on top is the colony

Not really true. It is just the reaction to oxygen. The colony is always there but if O2 is not present then a pellicle may not even form.

Thanks. I agree about the pellicle because the 18 month old beer never formed one when it was in primary due to the fact that there was, like you said, barely any headspace for oxygen.

An oatmeal stout I was going to bottle today. 3 weeks in primary. It's a little tough to tell from my phone's flash, but the surface has a sort of whiteish film on part of it. It looks like it kind of strings across the surface. I haven't tasted it yet. I was hoping it's just something sort of common when brewing with oats..it was my first oatmeal stout.

View attachment 1456070744696.jpg

View attachment 1456070758914.jpg

Here's mine, an Imperial Kolsch with oak sticks. Not sure it is infected, but it just appears after 37 days in secondary. Oak sticks pass 25 minutes at 300 C, so i don't think it cames from that. Bubble seems to be linear and some are bigger. Do you think it is an infection? It taste very good until now.

12746301_1290111044336177_1205135600_n.jpg

Looking at the carboy pic, it's like looking down on a lake where the ice is breaking up. Here around the Great Lakes, it's referred to as ice pack. broken pieces/chunks of ice " packed" together. But in this case, they don't get packed up on top of each other, as in nature. The just lie there sort of together. That's an infection.

I'm certainly no expert either, but I think it's a little too soon to condemn that beer (JeuDeVache's). There could be something developing there, but at this point I don't think it looks ominous.

Pictures of today, more bubble, there's definitely something getting out of the oat sticks, the foam is forming a line from them...

EDIT***: the things thats getting on my nerve, is that the beer was completely flat since a month before it apears...

12784443_1291818697498745_143213891_n.jpg

12421274_1291818700832078_713850158_n.jpg

I am no expert but it looks okay to me. I usually wait for more of a layer to form before I decide as the leftover krausen/yeast rafts and what have you can be misleading.

Don't argue with unionrdr. He obviously is an expert on infections, since he gets so many. Look how many post he has in this thread.

image.jpg

Pictures of today, more bubble, there's definitely something getting out of the oat sticks, the foam is forming a line from them...

EDIT***: the things thats getting on my nerve, is that the beer was completely flat since a month before it apears...

The problem for us is that the quality of the pictures are really quite poor. Very bad lighting, and not so great angle. Turn the light on in the room, and take pictures from a few different angles. Then we can help give a better assessment. It seems like you've been waiting a while anyways, so just wait another week before taking more pictures.

The problem for you, is that if those have been racked to a secondary, you've got way too much headspace in there. That much oxygen, plus throwing in the oak cubes, will give the bacteria a space to grow. Next time you want to fill it all the way to the neck.

Hi everyone, this is only a starter (for an already fermenting beer so not urgent) but what do you think should I chuck it out? It's like a white film on top, I was trying to grow some yeast from a Wyeast vial to help finish off a beer.

It's hard to tell from that picture, but the wort itself looks much too light. How did you prepare it? What was the original gravity of the starter?

An oatmeal stout I was going to bottle today. 3 weeks in primary. It's a little tough to tell from my phone's flash, but the surface has a sort of whiteish film on part of it.

Looks fine to me, but 3 weeks is a little early if you're worried about an infection. To be certain, take a gravity reading, then take another one a week later. If they're different, then something is still working in there (probably an infection). If they're identical, then you're fine to go ahead and bottle.

Also, I agree with joshesmusica, the quality of photos in this thread (in general, not picking on you two) is quite poor. The key is lighting. Take your photos during the day, with the curtains open, flood the room with light. Don't hold the camera too close (it can't focus super-close), or use a real camera, not some crappy phone camera.

Looks fine to me, but 3 weeks is a little early if you're worried about an infection. To be certain, take a gravity reading, then take another one a week later. If they're different, then something is still working in there (probably an infection). If they're identical, then you're fine to go ahead and bottle.

Also, I agree with joshesmusica, the quality of photos in this thread (in general, not picking on you two) is quite poor. The key is lighting. Take your photos during the day, with the curtains open, flood the room with light. Don't hold the camera too close (it can't focus super-close), or use a real camera, not some crappy phone camera.

I bottled it already. FG was right where it should be. If I get gushers or bottle bombs, then lesson learned. I agree the quality was poor. I don't own an actual camera, and it was a last minute photo..I was going to bottle and I looked at it and noticed, so I opened it (safely and quickly) to snap a photo. The room isn't overly bright, even with windows open. I did the best I could.. either way, I thought one could see the parts on the surface of my beer that were a concern to me.

Don't argue with unionrdr. He obviously is an expert on infections, since he gets so many. Look how many post he has in this thread.

Yeah, I'm downright popular. I was referring to the pic in post number 3064. right near the light glare burst you can see the broken ice pack lookin' stuff that is usually a dead giveaway for an infection. And I'd appreciate you and another person to stop being so snarky toward me. All this polite finger flippin' is getting ridiculous. And I have been fermenting stuff as long as many of you have been alive. I'm no expert, but not deserving of all this snarky, sneaky kick him in the butt when he turns around high school BS.

Not sure what you can tell, sorry for crappy pics. Is this the beginning of an infection? 6 days in secondary on cocoa nibs. Starting to see some bubbling around the nibs and suddenly I have activity in the airlock once a minute or so when I had nothing past few days. Infection or just oils and whatnot from the nibs?

WP_20160225_011.jpg

WP_20160225_012.jpg

Latest posts

Back