Your 2 Cents on Sweet Stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nl724

Reaction score
If you and a bunch of friends were compiling a sweet stout recipe, what one ingredient (and general quantity) would you make sure your joint recipe included?

Lactose....for the sweetness...but that's obvious.

I used a pound in my last recipe, when I re-brew it I'll cut it in half...It wasn't too sweet by any means...but I want some of the barley notes to come through more....

great! ...now that we have the obvious( water, yeast, hops, base malt, roasted barley and lactose) out of the way..are there any other specialty grains or adjuncts in your opinion will really 'make' a sweet stout? ...kind of was hoping someone had tried something that wasn't that common, but turned out amazing...

nl724 said:
great! ...now that we have the obvious( water, yeast, hops, base malt, roasted barley and lactose) out of the way..are there any other specialty grains or adjuncts in your opinion will really 'make' a sweet stout? ...kind of was hoping someone had tried something that wasn't that common, but turned out amazing...

Special B...

Belgian Special B is the darkest of the Belgian crystal malts. The Special B will impart a heavy caramel taste that is often credited with the raisin-like flavors of some Belgian Abbey Ales. It is used in specialty beers to produce a dark black-brown color and fuller body.

Depending on the amount, the flavor can range from raisiny to full out plum...

Back