Westvleteren XII recipe (clone) - AAA Westvleteren 12 (D-180 variation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgermeister

Reaction score
I want to try out this Westvleteren XII recipe:

AAA Westvleteren 12 (D-180 variation)

Beer Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale (18E)
Recipe Type: all-grain
Yield: 5 gallons
Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Description:

In the world of Belgian Trappist Ale's Westvleteren is considered the finest Belgian beer in the world. This is about as authentic to the Westvleteren 12 Belgian recipe as has ever been created outside of Belgium.

Ingredients:
12.5 lbs Dingemann's Belgian Pilsner
2.00 lbs Dingemann's Belgian Pale
0.10 lbs Belgian Debittered Black
0.15 lbs Belgian Special B
3.00 lbs D-180 Candi Syrup (The Candi Syrup, Inc. D-180 syrup NOT the D2 syrup from darkcandi. Only the D-180 will produce an authentic Westy 12)
8.0 gallons (filtered)
Brewers Gold 1.00oz 60 min
Hersbrucker 1.00oz 30 min
Styrian Goldings 1.00oz 15 min
White Labs WL530 "Westmalle" strain (2.0 liter starter)
1 cap of servomyces
2 tsp gypsum
Additional Instructions
Primary Ferment: 7 days
Secondary Ferment: Until FG is reached

Beer Profile
Original Gravity: 1.090
Final Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol by Vol: 10.21%
Recipe Type: all-grain
Yield: 5.00 Gallons
printer icon
Procedure:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE MASH AND BOIL
Use 2 tsp Gypsum in mash water. Initial protein rest at 138F for 30 minutes. Low decoction saccharification at 152F 30 minutes. High decoction saccharification at 156F for 30 minutes. 90 minute boil. 1 cap of Servomyces 10 minutes before flameout. Add 3 lbs D-180 Candi Syrup, Inc Belgian style candi yrup 3 minutes prior to flame-out. Note: you will not get the flavor of a true Westvleteren 12 unless you use this particular syrup. It is out of this world!

FERMENTATION
Chill wort to 65F. Pitch yeast starter. Let rise to 83F over 5 days and bottom heat until gravity is 1.018, (can be up to 2 weeks). Agitate if necessary to invigorate yeast. Decant to glass secondary. Let ferment for 2 more weeks in glass at 65-70F. Move to cooler rack location and let ferment 8 more weeks.

BOTTLING
Create a fresh stir-plate 2 liter yeast pitch using high quality Pils wort. Decant to 500ml. Boil 152 grams dextrose with 1 pint water. Cool and add to bottling fermenter. Decant ale to bottling fermenter and pitch yeast. Stir well then stir well again :) Bottle leaving 1 inch from top of long neck. Let prime for 3 weeks at 78-80F. Move to cellar temps and let chill for 6 months at 55-60F. Drink after 6 months to 1 year.

Source: Dietrick Voosletre:rockin:

Westvleteren12_5.jpg

I brewed a similar clone recently and will bottle on the weekend. I tasted it when it was racked to secondary and was excellent. Hope this one is as good because if my first attempt at one of the worlds best critiqued beers is any good at all I might have to make it a yearly speciality of the house.

Looks pretty good. Have you thought about putting this in the current Westy 12 thread by CSI? Lots of good info and help.

Back