2md batch questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpz28

Reaction score
So after 7 days in the primary I transfered my second batch(IPA that uses Amarillo hops) into the secondary. I have a few questions.

First off upon removing the lid there was hop goo splattered all underneath it and all along the top sides of the fermentor. So all of thes hops that are splattered everywhere from the violent fermentation weren't in the wort that whole week it was fermenting because they were on the lid and on the wall of the bucket near the top. Since 3 of the four oz of hops were added at flame out is this going to affect the taste?

Second I sampled some of the beer that was left in the bottom of the primary after transfer. I understand that this was kind of the cloudy stuff near the trub and the beer is still green but the intial taste is good but then it just tastes watery why? It's a six gallon recipe that is supposed to yield five gallons and thats how I made it. Maybe this watery flavor will dissapear with age?

Third when I transfered my autosiphon had some bubbles in the hose (don't know why) I hope this isn't going to arreate the beer?

Maybe I worry to much my first batch is still bottle conditioning so I have yet to prove to myself that I can pull this off.

Ryanh1801 said:
no
yes your fine
once again you will be alright.
futurama-scruffy.jpg

The hops not in the beer is fine- I strain my beer before putting it in the primary fermenter. The hops have already given you what they were supposed to, so having them in primary is not necessary. No harm, either, though!

As far as the watery taste, I think that will improve alot in the next couple of weeks. Carbonation and conditioning do great things for beer- and you can't really judge the final product based on the taste coming out of the primary fermenter.

What was the recipe this would have more effect on the watery taste then anything.

1) The reason the hops are up along the side and lid is because you are seeing the residual material left behind by the krausen once it falls. The reason this will not affect you beer is that the hop flavor comes from the hops DURING the boil, not during fermentation. People who dry-hop do so to obtain increased hop aroma and it is usually done in secondary. Personally I strain my hops out completely when I pour my cooled wort into my primary fermenter to reduce the amount of trub and help clear the beer.

2) Some of the watery flavor will disappear as your beer ages and conditions. However, I would caution you about increasing your batch size without increasing your ingredients. An extra gallon of water is 20% more if the recipe was for a 5 gallon batch. If you are still following other's recipes (which I suspect you are), I would stick to the batch sizes called for in the recipe. Once you start designing your own recipes you can mess around with batch size.

3) I get those bubbles in my autosiphon all the time and have never had any problems. According to my lhbs they are most likely due to CO2 coming out of solution rather than O2 being introduced.

It sounds like you are worrying the same amount as most first time brewers. Over time this will pass as your skills increase and you encounter more and more variables in your brewing and still make good beer.

Back