plastic bucket vs. plastic carboy (better bottle)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdawson9

Reaction score
This may be ridiculous but a better bottle carboy transfer heat or cold better than a plastic bucket? Reason for asking is I'm unsure what the wort temp is here in Florida with my stick on thermometer and was wondering if using a different primary would give me more accurate temp readings during fermentation. I realize they are both plastic but wasn't sure if the better bottles were thinner or made in some way to transfer temp better since they were specifically made for brewing.
Thanks!

The better bottles are thinner walled than an ale pail, but the stick on thermometers aren't going to be much more accurate on them. I live in the AZ desert and use a cheap aquarium sticker thermometer with excellent results, just keep things reading towards the bottom end of your yeasts temp range for the cleanest tasting beer.

I find stick on thermometers to be fairly more accurate on BB. While I may not have evidence of temps several inches within the fermenter, the liquid crystal was not reading ambient temp. My beer I'm bottling tomorrow was fermented in the garage with outside temps 35-50F, the ambient temp in the garage was consistently in the low 50F's. Sticker registered a consistent temp of 61-63F for the first few days. Once fermentation slowed and the yeasties couldn't maintain their own temp, readings dropped into the mid-upper 50's. I since moved the carboy inside to finish up... Liquid thermometers have use while not 100% accurate.

Back