Mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer1

Reaction score
I have a keg that I just cut the top off of to make into a mash tun. Should I go false bottom? Any recommendations are a huge help thanks everyone!

I use a coil of 1/2 inch copper tubing with slots cut in the bottom. I have never used a false bottom, so I have no real comment on them.

Another choice is some type of stainless mesh.

You planing on batch or fly sparging?

I used to fly sparge but recently switch to batch. It is faster for me and I didn't lose any efficiency.

Benefits to both. It is all in what each brewer likes better.

Check out Jaybird's website for false bottoms. I hear he's pretty legit!

Here's a thread about them and here is his website.

You stocking me? Just kidding :D

Well for the 15.5 gallon kegs the 15" hinged false bottoms are what we sell the most of. That said you can use any size you want really. the 12" is a great choice if your not going to direct fire, want to stay away from the hinged or just dont really want to spend $90+ bucks on your false bottom. I would stay away from the 10" in the MLT but it works good in the BK.
The advantage to the 15" is you can direct fire and drain at full tilt for your resirc, without worring about a stuck mash.
Good luck with the build!
Cheers
Jay

Back