Noob Dry Hopping Error, did I ruin my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nimo23

Reaction score
I cooked my second ever batch yesterday, it is a Falconer's Flight Extra IPA kit from Brewer's Best. It came with the following hops:

Millennium Bittering Hops, 1 pack
Falconer's Flight Hops, 2 packs
Falconer's Flight 7C's Hops, 2 packs

I misread the directions, and missed the whole section on dry hopping (supposed to dry hop the 2 packs of 7C's). So, I added all of the hops during the wort boil.

Here were my addition times . . .

Bittering hops - Boiled 40 minutes
FF Hops, both packs - boiled 10 minutes
FF 7C's Hops, both packs - boiled 10 minutes
Removed from boil and began cooling

It was at this point that I read the paragraph on dry hopping. Obscenities ensued, and I continued with cooling and pitching.

What is going to happen to the beer?

it'll just be a bit hoppier than the recipe, and less aromatic. you can buy more hops for dry-hopping if you wish; then it'll be hoppier and just as aromatic!

it'll just be a bit hoppier than the recipe, and less aromatic. you can buy more hops for dry-hopping if you wish; then it'll be hoppier and just as aromatic!

Ok cool. So it will be an extra extra IPA now?

So I should go buy some aromatic hops, which my LHBS should be able to recommend for dry hopping, and add those when I rack into secondary in 10 days or so?

You didn't ruin it, you just made it your own! :)

Would expect it to be more bitter than the original recipe, and less aromatic (to jotakah's point). On a side note, I've got a half pound of the 7C's coming tomorrow :ban:, looking forward to brewing an IPA with just those, they look interesting.

Thanks for the reassurance, I thought this would be the case but got concerned. dkennedy, I grew up on Longmont. Go Trojans. Small world.

At least you only boiled them 10 minutes. Will increase the bitterness but not as bad as if you had added at the beginning of the boil.

Thanks for the reassurance, I thought this would be the case but got concerned. dkennedy, I grew up on Longmont. Go Trojans. Small world.

Right on- I'm a transplant, originally from more your direction (Mainer).
I'd let it ride and see how it comes out, should be fine! Oh, and post results :mug:

Plug the recipe into BeerSmith and you should get an approximate IBU estimate.. or just wait and drink

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll dry hop it and see what happens, and update you on the outcome.

Latest posts

Back