Brewing with Belgian sugar candy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnigian

Reaction score
I keep seeing Belgian sugar candy when i go to get my supplies. Being fairely new to brewing and haveing never used it before im looking for advise on what types of beer and when to use it. Is it just for flavoing?

It's used mostly in higher gravity belgian ales, to boost the alcohol content without adding more body. There are light and dark versions too so it probably contributes more to the color than the flavor.

You could put it in secondary... I guess. But yeast probably have a hard time with huge chunks of sugar like that. I think they prefer it to be dissolved, so for the most part you want to add it during the boil.

If you're making a really big beer you might want to make sugar additions during fermentation but either way you would want to dissolve it in some boiled water or wort first.

29thfloor said:
You could put it in secondary... I guess. But yeast probably have a hard time with huge chunks of sugar like that. I think they prefer it to be dissolved, so for the most part you want to add it during the boil.

If you're making a really big beer you might want to make sugar additions during fermentation but either way you would want to dissolve it in some boiled water or wort first.

Yeah it's better in syrup form. You can either buy it that way or melt it down yourself.

Back