urban hop growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Here in my little near-downtown denber neighborhood, we have tiny yards, 12' separation between homes with only one side owned. Luckily, my narrow side yard is facing the south, in sun most of the day, so I put in a small, narrow garden.

This year I decided to add hops to the mix, and rigged up a few lines from ground to roof. Does this make sense? The length of each is ~25 feet, and I transplanted a couple of rhizomes that I started inside.

hopsgrow1.jpg

hopsgrow2.jpg

hopsgrow3.jpg

I think they'll do great, I have a big open back yard but could only build a 8-9' high trellis due to the wife thinking it looked horrible...I might move one plant next year and try to have it grow up the house. Good luck!

Is there a chance they'll spread out when they hit the gutters? I know they like to grow up, so probably not...but that's just me being paranoid. It looks like you could probably lean out of the upper window and retrain them if need be?

Other than that...looks great!! Good luck!

Is there a chance they'll spread out when they hit the gutters? I know they like to grow up, so probably not...but that's just me being paranoid. It looks like you could probably lean out of the upper window and retrain them if need be?

Other than that...looks great!! Good luck!

Thanks, yes, I would try to train them to avoid the gutters. You know, when I was up on the roof putting in the screw eyes I was thinking that IF I could train them up on top of the roof, could zig-zag lines with small metal or wooden stand-offs and COVER the roof with hops. That would be so cool, and it is of course sunny all day long there, and from my upper deck easy to get to with a 15' step ladder.

Back