stubby beer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostnfoam

Reaction score
i had an idea to for my wee bastard to bottle it in a stubby bottle. the only problem i am haveing is finding a company that sells them. i had a bottle from green flash brewing company and thats where i got the idea. well i hope someone can help me out. thanks and cheers:rockin:

The green grenade (Mickey's) is pretty readily available in this area but I have no idea how one would go about capping the big mouth.

well i have some bottles of green flash and they are 12oz brown stubbies. well i could drink tones brew but i hate to scap off labels well...

Guinness makes these nice little 12oz bottles--make sure to get the Widget-less bottles, though. They're shorter and thicker than the standard 12oz bottle. They're dark brown, so I've been trying to collect as many of these as possible.

I have two cases of Red Stripe bottles that I love. However, you'll have to buff the burned-in label off with a power sander if you want 'blank' bottles.

man i cant belive i cant find any blank bottles. i know its silly but now im makeing a personal mission to find these bottles. i dont mind takeing off beer labels but buffing is a bot over kill. well thank everyone keep me in the loop if you find something:tank:

Here are some bottles for you.
If they are actually bottles from Heritage Brewing, then they are brown stubbies. Good news is they're $2.50 a case, brand new. Bad news is they're twist off.

Where are you? If you're anywhere near Canada they're often for sale on Craigslist. There are 60 for sale in Vancouver right now.
Or you might be able to find someone willing to ship.

ChimayBlue.jpg

Super easy to delabel,and they're really strong bottles.

29thfloor said:
I think Sierra Nevada uses those kind of bottles. If I'm thinking of the right ones.

+1 I've use a lot of Sierra Nevada bottles and the labels come off themselves in an overnight soak of hot water and Oxy Clean.

The bottles for the Longhammer IPA (I think it is a Red Hook Brewery beer) recently changed to a stubby type in our area (DC Metro). They sell the beer at every supermarket around and it is my favorite bottle to use in my limited brewing experience.

SFSpencer said:
Super easy to delabel,and they're really strong bottles.

Gotta be careful w/euro bottles ;if you use a wing capper the standard bell is a little too small to use them due to the extra glass (?)
My red baron capper I think I got from NB has a European bottle replacement bell that you can order ( though I never did). I tried to re-use Bass bottles once and got screwed out of a 6-er that I couldn't cap

Gotta be careful w/euro bottles ;if you use a wing capper the standard bell is a little too small to use them due to the extra glass (?)
My red baron capper I think I got from NB has a European bottle replacement bell that you can order ( though I never did). I tried to re-use Bass bottles once and got screwed out of a 6-er that I couldn't cap

Really? I have a standard wing capper and have capped Duvel and Orval bottles just fine.

Anyhow, Founders and Sierra Nevada both use them, yeah. Quite a few other Belgian breweries use the Duvel shape as well.

LowNotes said:
The bottles for the Longhammer IPA (I think it is a Red Hook Brewery beer) recently changed to a stubby type in our area (DC Metro). They sell the beer at every supermarket around and it is my favorite bottle to use in my limited brewing experience.

Red hook bottles are the only ones I use for just that reason.
Also, the labels come off in about three minutes in oxyclean

Really? I have a standard wing capper and have capped Duvel and Orval bottles just fine.

Anyhow, Founders and Sierra Nevada both use them, yeah. Quite a few other Belgian breweries use the Duvel shape as well.

Red Baron works fine with the Chimay Stubbies,though i use a Colona.

SFSpencer said:
Thats for larger 750ml bottles (that can be capped)

Such as:

Maybe so, but my point is that this happened to me using Bass bottles. All 6 pack bottles would not cap with my STD capper and crowns because the bottle neck opening was too large. Same batch had no issues with craft bottles or my STD 22 bombers.

I am assuming that this means that Bass uses a 29 mm crown on their 330's. Whatever; if I have Bass bottles I'll send them to you on my recycle truck.

Red hook bottles are the only ones I use for just that reason.
Also, the labels come off in about three minutes in oxyclean

Yep, I have had no trouble getting the labels off, and I also like that their 12-packs come with little paper-board dividers. It is a really small thing, but it makes me feel more organized, and it keeps them from clanking around when moving.

Plus, you don't have to break the bank buying it, my normal supermarket sells 12-packs for around $15. Not too bad for 12 IPA's + bottles.

I'm just trying to share my experience. Don't mean to over-react but this was my experience.
I use caution when re- using bottles.
As for the OP, I have never seen new glass, non- TO stubbies of any type for sale. Glad I could help.

Lagunitas are shorter and fatter than most, I'm saving up a couple cases, for what i haven't decided yet.

Lagunitas are shorter and fatter than most, I'm saving up a couple cases, for what i haven't decided yet.

Just a heads up,those labels are a pain to get off....Even with an Oxiclean soak,i decided they weren't worth it.

anchor bottles are also great, stubby and labels fall off pretty easy, IIRC. i was going to use those for my "house bottle" until redhook switched to stubbies

Summit switched to pop-top bottles this summer. They're the same dimensions as the stubby Sierra Nevada bottles. I'd imagine you can get one or the other where you're at.

I have two cases of Red Stripe bottles that I love. However, you'll have to buff the burned-in label off with a power sander if you want 'blank' bottles.

i put a stone bomber in a strong star san solution for an hour or two and the label came right off with a scotchbrite pad... no buffing necessary ;)

Back