I think I made a mistake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machinehead131

Reaction score
I Chilled wort to 80, poured into bucket and shook around, added top off water.

My sanitizer solution was warm, maybe too warm. I put my yeast packet in there for roughly 5 min before I pitched. It has been 48 hours and there are no signs of fermentation.

Could the sanitizer solution water have been too hot and killed the yeast inside the packet?

This is Nottingham yeast.

It is a diamond knot ipa kit from homebrewheaven.

I know to relax don't worry but there are no changes in gravity so I am a bit worried.

How warm was the water? From what I understand, you probably didn't kill ALL of the yeast. Maybe it is a slow starter, they are still reproducing before they start eating.

Its hard to say, atleast 100 probably. I filled it from the faucet and didn't realize it was that warm.

How much more time should I wait. There is no activity at all, no foam nothing.

wait another 24 hours. 100 isn't "hot" if it felt hot to your hand it was probably around 120. However, you probobly didn't kill ALL of them. Relax and wait.

Could the sanitizer solution water have been too hot and killed the yeast inside the packet?

You put the yeast in sanitizer? If so, I suspect it's dead, because that's what sanitizer does.

I threw the packet in there to sanitize the outside of the packet, took the packet out opened and pitched into wort.

I'm sure it'll be fine, yeast are probably just consuming all the oxygen and having sex all over the place before they pig out.

I sure hope so, tuesday is the earliest I can get another pack of yeast.

The only other stuff I have is safbrew t-58

give it a 'lil bit longer, i'd suspect you'll be ok.
on another note...besides the consumption of all oxygen, davidsteel made being yeast sound like the best thing in the world

Don't pitch the T-58 if you get in a panic! T-58 and Notty are TOTALLY different strains. I regularly use Notty, and I love it because it's so clean. I used T-58 on my Kriek this last week, and I couldn't believe how amazingly crazy it smells and tastes.

Be patient! As Revvy will tell you (if he pops in), Fermentation can take 48-72 hours to show any signs!

What signs of fermentation are you looking for?
How do you know nothing has happened?
Have you taken a gravity reading?
It is unlikely the 100F would kill the yeast while it is still in a sealed packet.

Relax
breathe in breathe out
breathe in breathe out
breathe in breathe in breathe in

Sorry; seen your handle and couldn't help myself. :rockin:

Back