Wyeast 1098

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1jw

Reaction score
Anybody have any issues with Wyeast 1098 British Ale finishing out attenuation?

Have 10 gallons of a porter split into two 5 gallon fermenters side by side...pitched at 70 degrees, cooled to 66-68 degrees for 30 days ferment. OG was 1.050 and 30 days later hydro shows 1.019. Should have a target FG of approximately 1.014.

Stirred and raised temp to 70-72 degrees for 5 days and I still have the same reading. (Both smack packs were fully pooched before pitching.) Sample was very good...not overly sweet.

Racked into a kegs today to add oak chips.

I plan on priming in the keg and conditioning for a month or so at room temp. With the FG still high, would it be prudent to burp the kegs every other day or so? Any other concerns?

Advice?

thanks in advance
dave

I use 1098 for most of my dry stouts and have not had any problems with it finishing high; though the yeast is not known to be a super attenuator and usually only gets around 73-75%. In your case, the yeast may have gone as far as they could, especially if you did not use a starter and/or if you are using malt extract.

I use 1098 for most of my dry stouts and have not had any problems with it finishing high; though the yeast is not known to be a super attenuator and usually only gets around 73-75%. In your case, the yeast may have gone as far as they could, especially if you did not use a starter and/or if you are using malt extract.

Hmmm, no malt extract...AG (2-row 70%, crystal 80 12%, Chocolate 8%, Black 4%, peat smoked 1%, flaked barley 4%), mash 154F, sparge 170F. Pitched 1 smack pack in each 5 gallon fermenter. (Didn't own a stir plate at the time)

did it happen to be a propagator and not an activator? activators claim to have enough yeast to ferment out 5 gallons as is. I still make a starter with them. Propagators do not have enough to ferment it out, and require a starter.

I had an issue in my last bitter batch. However I had 6.5 gallons going into the fermenter and I made a 1 gallon starter. My OG was 1.052 and my FG 1.016. That is 68% attenuation. Thankfully most of the styles it's used for should be sweet so I won't sweat it.

What kind of beer were you making?

I had an issue in my last bitter batch. However I had 6.5 gallons going into the fermenter and I made a 1 gallon starter. My OG was 1.052 and my FG 1.016. That is 68% attenuation. Thankfully most of the styles it's used for should be sweet so I won't sweat it.

What kind of beer were you making?

Porter...it isn't too sweet, actually has a very good flavor...more concerned about priming in the keg and what the pressure situation might be.

next time, make your starter and just give it a good swirl every time you walk by it. can't provide any links, but i've heard this is nearly as good as a stir plate.

Back