Candi Sugar Uses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Can I use Amber belgian candi sugar to bottle? Would it be the same ratio, about 3/4 cup to 5 gallons of brew?

I want to use it to carbonate my Apfelwine....would I just boil it in water to get that done, just like corn sugar?

Also, could I use half corn sugar half amber candi sugar to add to EdWort's apfelwine recipie? Would that impart a different flavor and would it completely ferment? Thanks everyone!

i'm sure that would be fine, but weigh it. 3/4 cup of dextrose will weigh less than 3/4 cup of candi sugar pellets I would think.

you can just use table sugar if you don't want to waste the candi sugar.

process for either should be the same as dextrose.

as for the AW, i'm sure that would work also. probably wouldn't contribute all that much to the taste as most of those sugars will be fermented and leave little residual sweetness.

So then what is the main purpose of using candi sugar if it doesn't contribute much to a finished beer? Or am I missing something?

well, i think it can contribute some color and maybe just a hint of flavor but i think mostly its used with darker belgian beers to help with the caramel color and maybe a hint of caramelized flavor.

Back