Hop Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
The Brewer's Fest yesterday was an odd one. I avoided the Wit & Belgians, just because I don't like the styles much and IPA's because good IPA's are $20 a case any day of the week.

But damn it! Do we need Reds that taste like IPA's, Farmerhouse ales that taste like IPA's, Pilsners that taste like IPA's, STOUTS that taste like IPA's? In each case, the hops completely overwhelmed the other flavors in the ales. If a company wants to make 3 or 4 IPA's fine. Bear Republic does exactly that: Racer 5, Racer X and Hop Rod Rye are all great beers. I would hate to think we face a future where are choices are BMC or IPA's of various colors.

Plus notes: Golden Valley's Organic Brown was well done, New Belgium Brewing's 1554 Enlightened Black Ale was great not a porter or a stout, but something I've never run across before. Redhook Ale's Sunrye Blonde had a strong citrus aroma which was quite refreshing, although the rye really didn't come through.

Yeah, I think some brewers go a little overboard on the hops on some, or most of their styles. If it's going to be super hoppy, fine but let us know ahead of time.

The Sunrye is good, but you're right about the rye flavor. It doesn't have any of that "spicyness" that you get from rye. I believe they use wheat to a good extent in that recipe as well. It's more of a grain medley than a rye beer.

Where's the darn malt?!?! :drunk:.

Overhopping IMO can mask a so-so beer to call it good for the hop heads. Is that what we got going on here in the US?

I think so. A few weeks ago I had an American Hefeweizen that was bland except for the hops. It was the opposite of what I wanted, even from an American Hefe.

Back