Wow Now That's A Light Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham Dry Ale
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
15 Minutes
IBU
Color
Light Golden
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
Optional
Tasting Notes
Extra Light Beer Very Smooth (Good Outdoor Work Beer)
Wow, Now That's A Light Beer aka (Extra Light Southern Ale)

Multons Hopped Malt Dry Extract 3 lbs
Multons Rice Syrup Dry/Solids 2 lbs

Brewing:

Mix Extract all 5 lbs into 4 gallons of water in brewing pot. Mix well and place on heat and bring to boil, Stirring every few minutes until water is at a rolling boil. Start clock boil for 10 to 15 Minutes. 15 is better. Caution Extreme Foam Over Risk due to dry extracts. Do Not Skim Foam.

Cool Down & Ferment:

While waiting for wort to cool pull yeast out of fridge. Yeast should be out of fridge at least 1 hr prior to pitching. Cool Down to at least 70 degrees. Pour Wort into primary ensuring to let it splash good. It will foam up a lot. Next stir until nice whirlpool action. Pitch dry yeast by sprinkling over top of the whirlpooling wort. Pop on top with airlock and let her go. Should have bubbles in airlock with in 5 to 8 hours.

Fermentation Temp -> 62 to 65 degrees. Nothing over 68. 14 days or until SG readings are stable for 3 days.

Bottle & Conditioning: Bottle as normal 5 oz of corn sugar with 3/4 cup of water boiled for 5 minutes. Put into bottling bucket and auto syphon wort on top.

Let condition in bottle for 1 week. Place one in fridge and give her a taste. Should have carbonation but might be still little green and bit on low carbonation side. If so let her sit another week and repeat process. If after second week you still think she could use some more conditioning repeat process again. After 3 weeks you should be able to drink em like water but with a buzz.

Can use same recipe to do a actual pilsner by using Lager Yeast & Lagering after 14 days of fermentation....(I haven't tried this yet). Also can use WL German Ale.

Enjoy:rockin:

Jay

This has been REALLY well received with my BMC friends. Remaking this for a Pig Roast Memorial Day weekend. Upping the hops schedule a little bit:
1 oz Cascade 15 mins
1 oz Goldings 5 mins
.35 oz Goldings 0 min

Triple Hops brewed right ;)

Oh I forgot to add......before pitching yeast top her off with some room temp tap water.

This has been REALLY well received with my BMC friends. Remaking this for a Pig Roast Memorial Day weekend. Upping the hops schedule a little bit:
1 oz Cascade 15 mins
1 oz Goldings 5 mins
.35 oz Goldings 0 min

Triple Hops brewed right ;)

Did you make this one yet, with the hop additions? I'm going to make this one tomorrow.

Yes how did the hop additions turn out I want to make this again but add a lime flavor to it as well...........

Crap, how did I miss this??? The extra hops imbalances the beer, did it again with an extra pound of Amber Malt, and it was REALLY good.
With unhopped extract - 1 oz 15 mins, .5 oz 0-5 mins, the extra ounce in the middle up the malt.

I have some wild hops, we are guessing are Crystal. I am on my second batch of those wild hop ale and it's tasty!!!! My dad HATES this beer because he can't stand his Lite or MGD now. HAHAHA
I just dump a 1 gal freezer bag of cones in once the boil starts.

Where did you get 1.048 for the OG? I'm getting 1.039...and how did you calculate the IBU? I can't find the specs on the Muntons hopped DME anywhere...

Thank you, I will give this a try. I have several of these ingredients in my stash already. Hope she likes it! It will get drank either way!!:drunk:
I would like to thank you for your response, like I said, new to the hobby and loving it, grateful for all the help I can get.

I'm wanting to make this but I can't find hopped DME. I'm getting confused on the hop schedule with unhopped DME. Can someone explain?

Back