Beginning partial grain brew. Lots of questions here.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cafeviking

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a rough india pale ale. I prefer a utilitarian beer with enough water to be refreshing. I've carefully selected my grains for specific characteristics as I'm attempting my first partial grain/extract brew. I picked out a total of 1.5oz of specialty grains, one pound of dry light malt and 3.3lbs of malt extract goo in a plastic jar that my dad passed on to me and could be about 8 years old. Additionally, a package of Safbrew S-33 yeast, for hopping I have 2oz pellet cascade for bittering and 2oz loose Simcoe in attempt to get piney. I have not decided what to use for dry hopping just yet, as I want to taste the wort first before I make any final decisions. I also have a pound of Malto-Dextrin.

Is this enough extract? How does dry extract equate to wet extract?

Is this enough hop to get me around 30-40 IBUs after dry hopping? Is 2oz good for dry hopping?

I feel like I am a little on the lean side for grains as well as hops but I am not sure. What kind of advice would you offer? I will read and appreciate every bit!

Welcome to the forums Eric.

I wouldn't use that 8-year old liquid extract. It might not come out good.

When you say "dry light malt", I'm gonna assume you mean light dry malt extract (DME). One pound isn't enough, even if you use the 8-year old liquid malt extract (LME). You'll need 8 pounds of DME if you're using it by itself with no LME.

What kind of grain did you get? I would use about 1.5 pounds of Crystal 20L.

To get ~40IBU's, I would do the following hop schedule:
1 oz. Simcoe for 60 minutes
1 oz. Simcoe for 5 minutes

Good Lord that's a lot of questions. First things first, read this, it won't take that long, and it will answer most of your questions, plus a lot of questions you haven't asked us yet. How to Brew - By John Palmer

Second, you will definately need more extract, at least twice as much as you have, and that stuff in the can probably expired like 6-7 years ago, and even if it has no expiration date, I'm sure it won;t turn out good.

Third, 7.5 oz of different specialty grians is probably going to get you next to nothing in tems of additional flavor or color. You will probably want AT LEAST a pound of specialty grains, and depending on the grains you picked out, some may need to be mashed instead of only steeped. (really not that hard)

Fourth, you are going to have a difficult time reaching 30-40 IBUs anyway, unless you are boiling the entirething (all 6 gallons or so on the stove). Simcoe will give you MUCH more bitterness than Cascade, but I do like Simcoe to finish. Cascade isn't really a bittering hop, and you may be better suited going with a higher AA% hop to bitter with.

Twenty-Second, or whatever number, if that didn't make a lot of sense to you, or raised more questions, I again refer you to How to Brew - By John Palmer .

Welcome Eric, happy brewing.

Back