St. Patricks Day brew schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too different from the Flanagan standard that seems so popular. This will be my first stout.

You'd be surprised how different they are side by side..don't get me wrong, the Oflan std is good stuff but this has become one of my favorite brews. The simplicity of the pale/roast/flaked with just that hint of sharpness from the acid malt is a beautiful thing. WLP007 is a clutch part of the recipe IMHO. Enjoy the OFStandard!

I'm doing two batches of the LHBS's blonde ale. Its not very Irish but I'm going to dye it green while bulk priming it and the Heineken bottles covered in shamrock stickers should help set the mood haha. It'll be my third brew kit and my first time using only a primary, hopefully it doesn't get all FUBAR and leave me with no green beer for my party!

Well, not necessarily for SPD, but I recently bottled an Oatmeal Stout and I have an Irish Red in the primary now, which might end up being an Irish brown due to a little oversight in the ingredients. Oh well, I had a hydro sample tonight and it seems very promising. Guess I'm all set for March 17 at my place whether I meant it or not!

We just brewed up a Holiday Stout last weekend. Yeah I know a little late, but hey St. Patrick's Day is a holiday too, in fact in my book it is THE Holiday, so barring some really unfortunate mishap that should be ready by then. Beyond that I've plenty of Scottish Ale and Strong Amber on hand, not to mention Apfelwine, countless types of cider and hard lemonade, Rasberry stout, and an Omegaang clone. I'm set.

I brewed an Oatmeal Stout last Saturday and will be brewing another batch weekend after this one...well...that is if the yeast washing from the first batch goes OK.:rockin:

Got 5 gallons of Dry stout that will be ready and just brewed an oatmeal stout today. That one should be ready too.

So I finally brewed my stout for this year's party. I am really still working on dialing in my efficiency with some new equipment I have added to the system. I was planning on 70% since the last batch was a little lower, but I hit 82%, which is more in line with what I would expect once everything is dialed in. I think I will plan for this for future brews.

Anywho, I did a modified version of Brewt00ls recipe, and came in way high with an OG of 1.054:

Stoutification

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.60
Anticipated OG: 1.045 Plato: 11.08
Anticipated SRM: 29.4
Anticipated IBU: 32.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
67.9 7.20 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
9.4 1.00 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat America 1.034 2
9.4 1.00 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
11.8 1.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
1.4 0.15 lbs. Acidulated Malt Germany 1.038 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 2.90 11.9 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.90 20.1 60 min.

Yeast
----
WL004 - Irish Ale

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
67.9 7.20 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
9.4 1.00 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat America 1.034 2
9.4 1.00 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
11.8 1.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
1.4 0.15 lbs. Acidulated Malt Germany 1.038 2

I tried the recipe w/ some chocolate malt once and I found that I much pref'd it with out...it kinda muddles up the depth of flavor on the malt side.

6 lb Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
1.75 lb Barley Flaked
13.0 oz Roast Barley
6 oz Chocolate Malt
2.0 oz Acidulated Malt
.25 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min
1.5 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 ea White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

...in the midst of brewing my std recipe (pretty much the above w/o the chocolate and minus the FWH) the other weekend, I found that was about 1/4# short on the flaked barley so I tossed a 1/4# of oats...well, see.

I know, I realized it was going to lose the roastieness. I thought I had roasted at home, but it was only a metric a$$ton of choc malt.

Back