Need authentic German lager recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My friend is back from living in Germany for a couple years. He was hoping that he and I could make a German lager together that would be reminiscent of "back home." He says that good German beer is very simple. Considering the beer making laws and what not. I figure that a good recipe won't have too many ingredients.

Does anyone have an extract recipe that would be fitting? Thank you

I don't do much extract brewing, but I do brew a lot of German lagers. Any particular style? Pilsner, helles, dunkle, bock? If youre not sure do you know which part of Germany he was living in ? Check out the recipe section and you'll probably find what you're looking for. Many of them have extract versions in the thread, or you can ask and its pretty simple to convert a recipe.

From Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles:
Munich Dunkel
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.014
IBU: 22
Color: 19 SRM
Boil: 60 min

Extract:
8.5 lbs Munich LME (I think Northern sells this)

Steeping Grains:
6 oz Carafa II

Hops:
1.2 oz Hallertau 4.0% at 60 min
0.5 oz Hallertau 4.0% at 20 min

Yeast:
WLP833 or Wyeast 2308 with appropriate starter

Ferment at 50°F, let rise to 66°F for diacetyl rest, lager for 4-6 weeks before bottling

Make sure you can make an appropriate starter for this, it will take a LOT of yeast. Also, be sure you have the facilities to control fermentation temp and the ability to lager it at just above freezing temps for 4-6 weeks. I just brewed the AG version of this recipe, I'm currently doing the d-rest. I ended up using WLP830 yeast because I got a good deal on expired yeast at my LHBS (used yeastcalc make a 2-step starter).

EDIT: You posted while I was typing. I also brewed Jamil's Pils recipe at the same time. I can type that one out too.

From Brewing Classic Styles:
German Pilsener
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.009
IBU: 36
Color: 3 SRM
Boil: 60 min

Extract:
8.2 lbs Pilsener LME

Hops:
1.0 oz Perle 8.0% at 60 min
0.5 oz Hallertau 4.0% at 15 min
0.5 oz Hallertau 4.0% at 1 min

Yeast:
WLP830 or Wyeast 2124 with appropriate starter

Same fermentation schedule as the previous recipe. I did this one as the AG version as well.

It Doesn't get anymore orginal than an authentic German homebrew website.
Use this link.

http://www.bierspot.de/rezepte/bier_brauen.html

Of course unless you verstehen German You will likely need to use Google tranlator or ask your friend to translate for you.

Good Luck!

That is pretty interesting. There's no extract versions though. They also don't specify which hop or yeast varieties they're using.

My friend is back from living in Germany for a couple years. He was hoping that he and I could make a German lager together that would be reminiscent of "back home." He says that good German beer is very simple. Considering the beer making laws and what not. I figure that a good recipe won't have too many ingredients.

Does anyone have an extract recipe that would be fitting? Thank you

The ingredients are simple, but the process is not so much. You need to be able to ferment at around 50F and then lager the beer near freezing for a couple months. If you can't do that, you might want to wait until you can. You also need to pitch a lot of yeast, so you need to be familiar with making a large yeast starter. Sure, you can work around these, but you won't get what you stated you wanted.

There are other German websites that may provide the info you're looking for.
Try a search for

" bier brauen rezept "

then you can always use a recipie converter tool like provided in beersmith

Pilsner extract and noble hops. Can't get much simpler than that. The brewing classic styles recipe that's been posted should be a good one.

Back