Am I reading this chart correctly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiB57

Reaction score
So I just added two more taps to my Keggerator, bringing it up to 4 total. Which is really nice to have 4 beers on tap. But it also means that my set a beer in the fridge at serving preassure (about 8 PSI) at 40 degrees for two weeks no longer works since I don't have room for a pressurizing beer without loosing a tap. Not the end of the world, but I'd prefer to leave the fridge just for drinking beer.

But, I just got a second CO2 tank and regulator. If I'm reading this chart correctly at http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/ForceCarbonation.html if I set my second tank and regulator to about 26 PSI, at room temperature (say 68 degrees) that should carbonate my beer to about the same level in one-two weeks but could be hooked up to the gas for longer. Then when a keg dies, all I should have to do it put a new keg in, bleed off the excess pressure, hook it up to the 8 PSI serving pressure give it a day or two to chill down to serving temp and equalize pressure and only be down a day or two that the keg needs to chill.

Am I right, or am I misunderstanding something about disovled gas in a liquid. I should've payed better attention in chemistry in H.S.

Excellent, thanks.

(I'm not questioning, just trying to learn)
Is there a reason to chill it, then hook it up? Thanks again.

You want to chill it first because more CO2 will go into solution cold than at room temperature.

I think he wants to carb outside of the fridge and it can be done at higher pressures as noted on that chart. You don't use any more CO2 in the process so it's not a big deal.

Yeah, I'm carbing outside of the fridge at a higher pressure so I can have more "in the pipeline" and ready to go. No big deal, I'll cool it then hook it up to the fridge gas line, I was just wondering if there was a reason to do it one way or the other, assuming the beer was already carbed.

If you cool it before hooking it up to the gas, then the pressure in the headspace should drop down to around where you want it on its own, without you having to do any purging, etc. Thus you'll waste a bit less gas.

Latest posts

Back