welch's wine recipe, show em if you got em

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaster

Reaction score
Bust out those books and spill your best welches wine.

Ill start. Havent mastered it to date but here we go.
1 gallon batch.
2 cans concentrate
juice to a gallon
.25 tsp tannin
.25 tsp acid blend
6 drops pectic enzyme
.25 tsp teast nutrient.
Redstar premier cuvue
2-3 wks primary
secondary on an oz of light toast french oak for 1 week
Bottle
Age 6mos to a year.

Not bad not quite where i want it. Welches on the front end cheap siraz on the back.

You should make it any grocery store concentrate(or bottled) I'd be very interested! I just start an old orchard blueberry pomegranate. I love these easy to make/cheap wines.

I have two posted- one for grape (white or red) juice, and one for apple juice. But instead of those juices, any juice (cran-raspberry, apple-raspberry, etc) will don.

You should make it any grocery store concentrate(or bottled) I'd be very interested! I just start an old orchard blueberry pomegranate. I love these easy to make/cheap wines.

Me too, especially in the winter when I have no fruit growing in my yard!

Me too, especially in the winter when I have no fruit growing in my yard!
Dried Elderberry/Hibiscus is my favorite, I use Welches White Grape as the base.

MzAnnie said:
Dried Elderberry/Hibiscus is my favorite, I use Welches White Grape as the base.

What recipe do you use!? I have never used additions to mine yet. Such as elderberry or raisins or anything. I would love to try it

What recipe do you use!? I have never used additions to mine yet. Such as elderberry or raisins or anything. I would love to try it
Mostly, I wing it...but here is the last one I made: 1 pound dried elderberries rehydrated in 1 gallon of boiling sugar water (8 cups), 2 cups of hibiscus leaves. Let steep overnight then strain. Add a handful of chopped raisons and 3 gallons of Welches Grape Juice. I have made some batches with concord grape juice and some with white grape juice. Pitch your yeast (I use Premier Cuvee for this one) starter and splash rack after a week or two. Then I use a simple syrup, 4 cups per pint of distilled water, and add 2 cups of syrup to taste in three or four rackings. When it is done throwing lees, or it is clear, I bottle and refrigerate. I drink my wine young so I don't add any sulfites. You will have to figure out the proper techniques as this is the way my family has done it for years, and this is what I know. Besides, I only use this for medicinal purposes! ;)

PS, you can get dried elderberries at IHerb.com and hibiscus on Amazon or morethanalive.com...I am looking forward to using some elderberry jelly, my sister made, that didn't set, for my next batch. I also can't wait until my own elderberries are ready. In August, around the country, there are elderberries free for the taking, if you can beat the birds to them!

That sounds really good I am going to have to try that! But what does it mean to splash rack? I've been hearing that a lot recently.

I plan on making this soon as a starter to use the yeast slury after racking from primary in a skeeter pee inspired mead.

4 cans of Welch's White grape peach concentrate.
1 TBS black tea (Earl Grey)
1 tsp DAP
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
Water to a gallon
Yeast: Lalvin 71b

That sounds really good I am going to have to try that! But what does it mean to splash rack? I've been hearing that a lot recently.

To me, it is just pouring it off through four times folded flour sacks (old way and remember I drink my wine young) It is not an acceptable practice if you are going to age your wine, as it is exposed to air. From what I read, it is a way to get out the sulpher smell and the CO2. I just do it to strain my wine. The experts can give you the why fors and where fors. I just come from a long line of shade tree & gulag vintors! :drunk:

MzAnnie said:
To me, it is just pouring it off through four times folded flour sacks (old way and remember I drink my wine young) It is not an acceptable practice if you are going to age your wine, as it is exposed to air. From what I read, it is a way to get out the sulpher smell and the CO2. I just do it to strain my wine. The experts can give you the why fors and where fors. I just come from a long line of shade tree & gulag vintors! :drunk:

I've always wondered about just pouring it through and forgetting all the siphon nonsense. I mean degassing also add air.

But that's awesome it's a tradition for you. I've kinda picked up this hobby on my own and really have no one else to talk to about it except for the very helpful people on this site. And sometimes the guy at my LHBS. I've learned a lot tho. But not enough yet!

I've always wondered about just pouring it through and forgetting all the siphon nonsense. I mean degassing also add air.

But that's awesome it's a tradition for you. I've kinda picked up this hobby on my own and really have no one else to talk to about it except for the very helpful people on this site. And sometimes the guy at my LHBS. I've learned a lot tho. But not enough yet!

Been at it two years now, and I feel like I'm just scratching the surface. Love it though!

I, too have learned a lot. I just started making wine about a year and a half ago, but have been watching all my life. One can only make so much jelly before you have to find other outlets for mass quantities of fruit in my yard. But it never seems to be enough to make my 200 gallon quota for the year!!!:D

MzAnnie said:
I, too have learned a lot. I just started making wine about a year and a half ago, but have been watching all my life. One can only make so much jelly before you have to find other outlets for mass quantities of fruit in my yard. But it never seems to be enough to make my 200 gallon quota for the year!!!:D

That's awesome you have the land to grow your own! My back yard couldn't even fit a pool if we wanted one. I would love to do that.

@blaster
The tea adds tannins into the wine. It all adds to the body and 'mouth-feel', gives that little bit of dryness.

@blaster
The tea adds tannins into the wine. It all adds to the body and 'mouth-feel', gives that little bit of dryness.

+1 on that.

I find tea is an easy way to add complexity and customize the flavor for what you want.

This is true, nothing worse than discovering the wine that you've took time to make lacks that little something and all over a single cup of tea

My basic wine recipe.

2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
Flavoring (I use Welch's strawberry blast x3/gallon for strawberry, and Great Value apple juice x2/gallon for apple wine)

1 pkg yeast and 2 tbsp sugar in 1 cup warm water for 15 minutes, then stir it into the mixure.

Ferment for two weeks, rack into secondary fermenter, ferment for two more weeks... when potential alcohol = zero ... add campden and potassum sorbate with some icinglass to clear it... let it settle until clear. Then I sweeten to my taste and bottle.

I thought I was messing up on the strawberry at first because of the straw color...but now I know that's the expected color if I don't add red coloring...

Each is delicious and ready to drink immediately after bottling. Someday I'll make enough to put back and age to see how much better it gets.

That's all I've got to share for now. Going to make a back of raspberry next, using Welch's raspberry blend... don't know how that will turn out yet. :)

Latest posts

Back