Whats up with this Citra Shortage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the ways Hop Union is trying to fill the demand for the in-demand varieties is to make proprietary blends like Falconers Flight or Zythos. I just got some of these and am looking forward to trying them out.

Steve

I have been using the falconers flight in place of amarillo for the past year and have had excellent results. Swapped it on a couple of IPA's and an APA and neither of them missed the amarillo one bit.

I have been using the falconers flight in place of amarillo for the past year and have had excellent results. Swapped it on a couple of IPA's and an APA and neither of them missed the amarillo one bit.

I won't go as far as you, and say that I don't miss Amarillo. I'll admit, I've never been short on amarillo, it's plentiful in my parts, and I bulk bought this year as well.

However, in terms of the blends, FF3C's was a great, great combonation of hops. I have a few remaining pints on tap still from a big IPA I did with them, and loved it. Thought it had everything you'd want in a bold hop profile for an IPA or Pale. If I was out of the big name hops- FF7C's would be on my list to use alone.

Received my HopsDirect order today...My 3lb order(Amarillo,Citra,Belma) seems quite generous...
Thanks HopsDirect!

Received my HopsDirect order today...My 3lb order(Amarillo,Citra,Belma) seems quite generous...
Thanks HopsDirect!

I'm impatiently waiting for the FedEx guy buy brewing a pre-Citramas batch. I hope I don't freak out too much and try and kiss him or something.:fro:

Pretty close to 18oz ea.

image-3038585046.jpg

The bags are actually quite heavy but they are always over a pound of hops in each order. My best leaf weight, was 19.6 ounces of citra out of the bag earlier in the harvest.

My pound of Amarillo and Citra came. 18oz and 18.5oz. They both smell incredible, especially the Citra. Nice soft pellets too.

Hops direct nitrogen flushed bags definitely smell funky though. Don't judge the hops by sticking your head in the bag. Take some out, give them a minute to air out, give them a good rub, and then smell.

Selective breeding is a form of genetic modification just fyi.

No, it is not. Genetic modification involves the implanting of genetic material from one species into another when these species have absolutely nothing in common and couldn't possibly be crossed naturally. Selective breeding is just that.

"...a product is regulated as genetically modified if it carries some trait not previously found in the species whether it was generated using traditional breeding methods (e.g selective breeding, cell fusion, mutation breeding) or genetic engineering."

Straight from the FDA dude

No, it is not. Genetic modification involves the implanting of genetic material from one species into another when these species have absolutely nothing in common and couldn't possibly be crossed naturally. Selective breeding is just that.

It's still genetic modification.

It's not natural for dogs to have floppy ears, but through genetic manipulation via selective breeding we have floppy ears.

We've even bred things to an idiotic level - look at all those poor pugs who can barely breathe, their very existence is borderline cruelty.

"...a product is regulated as genetically modified if it carries some trait not previously found in the species whether it was generated using traditional breeding methods (e.g selective breeding, cell fusion, mutation breeding) or genetic engineering."

Straight from the FDA dude

Since the FDA doesn't regulate GMOs and you mispelled Monsanto in your first post, I'm still inclined to believe you have no idea what you're talking about. Of course, this is a thread about Citra hops and not trying to make a stranger agree with you, so maybe we should all quit talking about it.

GMO = genetic engineering, not breeding dogs or hops. Picking which two dogs or hops are gonna screw ain't the same as putting genetic info from bacteria into corn.

GMO = genetic engineering, not breeding dogs or hops. Picking which two dogs or hops are gonna screw ain't the same as putting genetic info from bacteria into corn.

... and this why I know you have no idea what your talking about lol

that being said, if anyone else wants to continue this convo go for it. Im not here to give a biology lesson to uninformed people so Im done.

You're free to believe what you want, but when I order a GMO PCR analysis I only care about genetically engineered bits of DNA (such as those found in Bt corn and soy or roundup ready variants). No one cares about naturally-bred traits. Even Europe allows naturally-bred strains where they outright ban genetic engineering.

I got lucky this year. I found a secret stash. There's a place near me that sells homebrew supplies, but it's not a homebrew shop. Since not too many people go there looking for beer making stuff, I've been able to buy citra and amarillo from them whenever I want. I don't know how they're getting the hard to find hops, and I don't care. Just glad to have a hook up.

As much as everyone thinks there's a citra shortage, I think there is going to be plenty of citra to go around this year. Amarillo is the hop that's desperately short since they had a flood at their farm, and the yields are very, very low. Keep in mind Amarillo is only grown on one farm, and sometimes mother nature happens.

As much as everyone thinks there's a citra shortage, I think there is going to be plenty of citra to go around this year. Amarillo is the hop that's desperately short since they had a flood at their farm, and the yields are very, very low. Keep in mind Amarillo is only grown on one farm, and sometimes mother nature happens.

Didn't know about the flood, that's a bummer! Seems like there is something affecting their yields all the time. I forget what exactly it was last time, heat or drought or something? Hopefully there will still be enough to go around and the price doesn't get jacked up!

how come every time I go that site and try to order hops I cant see any of their products and basically get an error message?

You're going to freshHops.com not freshops.com (two h's and one h).

Instead of just re-directing to the freshops.com site, they apparently host two nearly identical sites. the one with two h's has an issue with the ordering page.

You're going to freshHops.com not freshops.com (two h's and one h).

Instead of just re-directing to the freshops.com site, they apparently host two nearly identical sites. the one with two h's has an issue with the ordering page.

Your right on, thanks for clearing that up. you would think they would fix that with a redirect (or whatever you call it) that would send you to the site that actually works!

LOL..you must not have any good ideas if you take that attitude about intellectual property. :drunk:

back to topic, I'm glad I ordered some citra a while back, my girlfriend insists on skeezers zombie dust being on tap at all times.

Low blow. Some people think plants shouldn't be considered intellectual property at all...and it doesn't mean they're incapable of good ideas.

I like Citra hops, but I'm trying to use other hops as much as possible to vote against this protectionist movement of plant varieties. Farmers contracting with breweries to keep hops out of the hands of homebrewers just doesn't sit well with me, and reminds me of the way BMC does "business" with the microbrew industry.

Latest posts

Back