Racking on top of blueberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcw203

Reaction score
I made a partial mash American wheat from Austin homebrew last week and I really want to rack on top of blueberries soon. I am coming here for everyone's help on the best step by step way of getting this done with no infection and what I have to do to do this. Also I am wondering when I should do this OR if I can just go back into my primary with the blueberries.

I just did this with a cream ale. One can of Oregon puree and racked on top without stirring or shaking for 1.5 weeks. Then added half a little bottle of brewers best extract at bottling.

Aroma is the extract but the flavor is the puree.

Another option is frozen blueberries - I just used them, at a ratio of about a pound per gallon of beer. I thawed the berries, then refroze, then thawed and refroze another time or two, to help break down the cell walls, then dumped them into my secondary and racked directly to them - I trusted them to be packaged sanitarily.

It's been about a week and a half, just pulled a sample, and I can definitely attest to what passedpawn had to say: it's tough to retain much blueberry flavor. There's a little bit in the aroma, and a tiny bit in the flavor, and that's all... I managed to get a couple berries with my thief, and they're totally spent - so it seems that nearly everything fermented out directly. Not sure if racking to more fruit will help, or "cheating" by adding extract when kegging is going to be the only answer.

Yea, extract is the way to go.

When I dumped the Oregon blueberry puree in there, I thought "Oh man this is too much". It's 3# of solid bluish purple super sweet berry sludge.

I did a blind test with experienced brewers at my club and although they could taste some fruity berry flavor, not one of them guessed blueberry. Ugh.

Well I have heard to put almost 2 pounds per gallon so maybe 10 pounds of blueberry purée?

Funny, my beer was definitely purple when I first racked onto the blueberries. The sample jar, after a week and a half, showed almost none of that color though.

Back