Holy Carboy Batman!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck!

I bought three peice airlocks, and since we have about 40 bottles (i got a few cases free) of Seagrams Vodka I will just fill with that.

This has happened before. There was a thread a couple years ago about <2> 5 gallon water jugs with water showing up at HDs. And it seemed to be a regional thing people headed out to theirs and found <7>s instead. Like someone said different regions can have different distribution and different products.

Re: suckback, plastic bottles have a lot of suckback potential if you have to move them around, since they flex (glass doesn't), which changes the volume. For instance, if you have to move it from floor to table to rack. But as said before, using sanitizer or alcohol in your airlock is fine.

Very simple: Remove the airlock, place a piece of sanitized foil or Saran Wrap over the top, move the bottle, sanitize and re-install the airlock.

PS heading to WallyWorld now to check this out.

Very simple: Remove the airlock, place a piece of sanitized foil or Saran Wrap over the top, move the bottle, sanitize and re-install the airlock.

Or just don't worry if a little gets sucked back in...If it's sanitizer or alcohol it just doesn't matter. I think this is another one of those "boogeyman" that new brewers waste a lot of time stressing out about....It's not like you're taking a piss or dump in the fermenter.

I bottled two batches yesterday. While I was putting caps into my vinator to sanitize I dropped one from the baggie into the bottling bucket while I was racking it over. I just shrugged my shoulders and continued on....

Homer Simpson didn't even clean his bath tub first haha. Man I can't wait to start. Apex Brew Wares is in Independence, about four hours from me, so I'm hoping fedex shows up by thursday.

FYI- I bought the ones I have at Lowe's and they were full of spring water. They were only 5 or 6 bucks....you may want to check out Lowe's and Home Depot if you get a chance....

FYI- I bought the ones I have at Lowe's and they were full of spring water. They were only 5 or 6 bucks....you may want to check out Lowe's and Home Depot if you get a chance....

In my case they didn't have any in stock. Plus to be honest I'm far too impatient to drink all the water, and would feel bad wasting a jug of it to pour out.

Plus to be honest I'm far too impatient to drink all the water, and would feel bad wasting a jug of it to pour out.

BREW WITH IT! :)

We just got a new Walmart down the street - much to the dismay of everybody near it - which has the same sorta setup.. buy empty bottles or open & fill them. Of course I asked if they've got 5g sitting around. Guy says no but they're on order... so I am the phantom of the walmart, haunting it until my curse is lifted! haha.

Does this 'better bottle logo' *say* better bottle on it? Or is it an image I oughta be able to recognize?

Mine is very clearly stamped with the Better Bottle logo / name.

A note to those using these, the inside of the cap has a foam "pad" in it. The lid seals fine, for me at least, without the pad. I would suggest removing it now and throwing it out as it may fester bacteria.

I brew with it. I've got a whole house filter for my water. In order to use the fridge water for drinking we've added an RO system. It would take me over a week to get enough water for a 5 gallon brew day. I've been buying the three gallon bottles because of the price but I'm gonna keep my eye out for the 5 gal because i'm gonna by water jugs, I might as well reduce, reuse, recycle, right?

I suck at quoting on here...

I brew with it. I've got a whole house filter for my water. In order to use the fridge water for drinking we've added an RO system. It would take me over a week to get enough water for a 5 gallon brew day. I've been buying the three gallon bottles because of the price but I'm gonna keep my eye out for the 5 gal because i'm gonna by water jugs, I might as well reduce, reuse, recycle, right?

I suck at quoting on here...

I would have brewed with it, except one would have to be poured out to have somewhere for the brew to go! Lucky for me, Walmart had the hookup. I now have 10 of them, and the shelf at Wally World has 0 lol.

Just got back from Wally World and K Land. They both had bottles that looked like the ones pictured. But, they were #3 bottles made in Mexico. I passed on them. Maybe they will be changing suppliers to the Better Bottles so I will check again.

Or maybe just go with Home Depot/Lowes buckets at about $3.50 with the lid.

But I do like my Better Bottles so I can see what's happening in there.

Question:

The bottles (as you can see in the pic) still have the sticky paper residue from the labels on there. I want to clean it off, so I have the most visibility into the bottle.

I don't want to scrape it, as I want to avoid scratches. Normally I would bust out the Acetone and get it right off there with a rag. In this case i'm afraid of the plastic absorbing the chemicals in Acetone.

Any ideas for getting it off?

nukinfuts29 said:
Question:

The bottles (as you can see in the pic) still have the sticky paper residue from the labels on there. I want to clean it off, so I have the most visibility into the bottle.

I don't want to scrape it, as I want to avoid scratches. Normally I would bust out the Acetone and get it right off there with a rag. In this case i'm afraid of the plastic absorbing the chemicals in Acetone.

Any ideas for getting it off?

Hot water, oxyclean

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

Some nail polish removers are strictly acetone as well, which is often what's referred to as "nail polish remover" when talking about a solvent.

nukinfuts29 said:
did not know that, usually they are 1%

Oh, sorry. I meant water and acetone. I'm not sure if any nail polish removers are 100%. I thought you were talking about other chemicals. However, a solution is effective for most tasks anyways, unless you're trying to react it (eg synthesis), or the presence of water is unwanted.

What you're referring to though is known as anhydrous acetone. You can make it identical to a 1% nail polish remover by diluting it 1:99.

Anhydrus? Like the tanked stuff the meth heads are always stealing?

Iso did the trick

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

OK so got my first batch going. The orange carboy caps were too big, by quite a bit, so i drilled the white cap and pushed the airlock in. No rubber grommet, but I got a pretty sight fit anyway. Just got to keep an eye on it.

I learned a few things on my first brew:

1) Take your time
2) Funnel means Funnel, not cut gatorade bottle you made and sanatized in a panic.
3) See #2

hey nukinfuts can you tell me the store # and the UPC barcode on those bottles please.....

also a pic of the label

Label and Barcode are long gone (see earlier in the thread when I took them off). Store is Hannibal, MO.

Last night they didn't have anymore, I will keep an eye out for the next shipment.

Brought one of these 5 gal bottles w/handle from my local Walmart about a month ago. Made in Texas, and labeled PVC and BPA-free on the bottom. It was cheap, but smelled horribly when I opened it. Because of that and the PVC thing, I took it back. So there are a variety of these bottles, but I think only the PET #1 are what we want.

They will all work just fine, and the smell is from the cleaning process at the factory. It goes away in about two seconds with oxyclean.

I hope they have these at the Canadian Walmarts too... I guess we'll have to see!

I have been away from my first brew all day and i'm getting seperation anxiety lol. It hit the 24hr mark a bit ago and i missed it!! Most of my worry comes from hoping the airlock doesn't empty, but i see no reason why it would.

The Nottingham goes to work quickly. I had action within four hours, and a considerable amount of foam on top by hour eight. This morning (hour 12ish) the yeast has began swirling around and the foam was well established, but nothing to the airlock yet.

Back