i want to make a very special beer any suggestion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkmastiff

Reaction score
Hi in november i will be Godfather of my only nephew, in Mexico this is a great tradition and great honor for me, because that i want to make a very special beer to enjoy with all my family that day, but the majority of my family don´t liked stroger beers like barely wine, porter or stout because that i have in mind make a Dunkelweizen, so you think that is a good option? any suggestion?

It's a pretty complex beer for most folks, if they don't like the beers you mentioned, would they necessarily like something with bubblegum, banana and and clovey flavors derived from the yeasts?

Or maybe an American Pale Ale (APA)? Those aren't strong or too hoppy. I like making them for get-together's. Easier to drink.

I was thinking that the beer style that was single handedly rescued from near obscurity by Mexican brewers, the Vienna Lager. Which I am really grateful form mi hermanos in Mexico for saving, since it's become one of my favorite beer styles.

First off congrats on becoming a Nino, that is a special occassion.

I was thinking that the beer style that was single handedly rescued from near obscurity by Mexican brewers, the Vienna Lager. Which I am really grateful form mi hermanos in Mexico for saving, since it's become one of my favorite beer styles.

I don't know if I have ever had a Vienna Lager, is there a brewery or a place that has some available?

Exactly what I was going to suggest - Vienna Lager. Generally a crowd pleaser I've found, plus the whole historical/cultural ties there.

I don't know if I have ever had a Vienna Lager, is there a brewery that sells this?

Two of my favorites are Eliot Ness from Great Lakes and Toasted Lager from Blue Point. Not sure if you can find either in CO. Also I believe Sam Adams Boston Lager is a Vienna, but not really a typical one according to style.

First off congrats on becoming a Nino, that is a special occassion.

I don't know if I have ever had a Vienna Lager, is there a brewery or a place that has some available?

August Schell Firebrick Vienna Lager, Great Lakes Eliot Ness, and Trader Joe's Vienna style lager are my three favorite of that style.

There's also, Boulevard Bobs 47 Munich-Style Lager, Negra Modelo, Old Dominion Aviator Amber Lager, Gordon Biersch Vienna Lager, Capital Wisconsin Amber, Olde Saratoga Lager, Penn Pilsner

And my own version as well. (There's links to a couple or articles and podcasts that I used when I was researching mine in there.)

August Schell Firebrick Vienna Lager, Great Lakes Eliot Ness, and Trader Joe's Vienna style lager are my three favorite of that style.

There's also, Boulevard Bobs 47 Munich-Style Lager, Negra Modelo, Old Dominion Aviator Amber Lager, Gordon Biersch Vienna Lager, Capital Wisconsin Amber, Olde Saratoga Lager, Penn Pilsner

Slightly off topic... but I've heard (and myself believed) that Trader Joe's = Gordon Biersch... Though maybe they slightly vary the recipes?

Slightly off topic... but I've heard (and myself believed) that Trader Joe's = Gordon Biersch... Though maybe they slightly vary the recipes?

Some of their beers are GB...Not all but a few including the vienna. But I've wondered if it's the same recipe as their own version. Somehow I think they're going to be different. Since the trader joes beers are contract beers.

Sweet. Revvy likes Schells, i thought i was the only one,those beers are great, i love the Rauchbeer,Hoppenwhatever, rice farmhouse.never tried the firebrick,damn i thought it was cheap i passed it up for a water at a resturaant so i could go home and try some other new ones.Plus i passed up the pilsner with a torpedo tonight (which i dont regret) pils can be pretty heavily sweet sometimes,and got a bunch of wheats,ever tried Lakefronts Monkey wheat? very stangely good.

Banana bread ale. Yes, I've had it. It's made by wells, so you can pick one up and try to taste it and mimmick it.

Hi in november i will be Godfather of my only nephew, in Mexico this is a great tradition and great honor for me, because that i want to make a very special beer to enjoy with all my family that day, but the majority of my family don´t liked stroger beers like barely wine, porter or stout because that i have in mind make a Dunkelweizen, so you think that is a good option? any suggestion?

How about a Porter and flavor it w/some cold brewed Mexican coffee? You can control the APV w/BeerSmith software.

Hi Darkmastiff,

Felicitaciones en su padrinazgo! If you can't brew lagers (no lagering fridge), you can make a brown ale. In Nevember in the US, many of us like pumpkin ales as we associate the Halloween (vispera del Dia de los muertos) and Thanksgiving season with traditional pumpkin pie. This pastel is made with pumpkin and spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and allspice.

If you go this route, you can spice with about two teaspoons combined of the above dried spices at 5 minutes left in the boil. If you have access to calabaza, you can pre-boil and then mini-mash it with a pound or two of a base malt. This will be hard to drain/sparge, and the pumpkin will hold a lot of the wort, so be forewarned that it will be messy. It will help produce a burnt orange tint to the beer, and some pumpkin flavor.

Taste your sample after primary fermentation and decide if you want to secondary with more spices. You can use a spice tea if you desire more.

If you're interested, there are some good recipes on this forum, like the one here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/thunderstruck-pumpkin-ale-ag-extract-versions-26699/

Salud!

Thanks to all for the good desires and the suggestions i really apreciate avery single answer i try to do a pumpink ale but i don´t know if in Mexico sell pumpink canned y try to found it

Thanks to all for the good desires and the suggestions i really apreciate avery single answer i try to do a pumpink ale but i don´t know if in Mexico sell pumpink canned y try to found it

Since pumpkin originally came from mexico, you should at least find it fresh. If that's the case, then slice it into large wedges, leave it on the rind and roast it in a 350 degree oven for 45- 60 minutes then dig out the fruit with a spoon and use that.

In D.F. you should be able to find Victoria, which is a Vienna-style lager. Alternatively you may be able to find Negro Modelo.

A pumpkin beer would be good but it might put some people off. I think a dunkelweizen fermented on the cooler side would be generally well received. Same for a cool fermented dubbel. Personally I would probably take a look at the fresh produce and local spices and see what interesting beer could be made, like a chile beer or an agave blonde or something using local sugar products, etc. that are hard to find outside of the region.

In D.F. you should be able to find Victoria, which is a Vienna-style lager. Alternatively you may be able to find Negro Modelo.

A pumpkin beer would be good but it might put some people off. I think a dunkelweizen fermented on the cooler side would be generally well received. Same for a cool fermented dubbel. Personally I would probably take a look at the fresh produce and local spices and see what interesting beer could be made, like a chile beer or an agave blonde or something using local sugar products, etc. that are hard to find outside of the region.

Agave blonde sounds cool.

I'm an idiot...I forgot, I do a Chocolate Mole Porter with a combination of my own chile powder (ancho, pasillo, dry chipotles, cayenne, mexican chocolate, cumin and cinnamon.) Finished with cayenne in the last 5 minutes of the boil...
I've even mashed my grains in the Abuelito instand hot chocolate.

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/31/2009
Batch Size: 2.50 gal

Boil Size: 2.93 gal
Boil Time: 75 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.33 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 15.08 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.54 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.54 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.54 %
0.50 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.25 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (30 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (2 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
0.50 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2.1 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 1.96 %
2.5 disks Abualita Mexican Hot cocco + 1 tsp my chili powder in Mash tun. 1/4 disk @ 40 and 1/4 disk + 1 tsp Cayene pepper @ 2 minutes.

abuelita_19oz_img.jpg

You could come up with something similar.

Revvy thats repice of chocolate mole porter sounds very good for sure i make it but i´m not sure if i do it for this ocassion but for sure i make this beer

Back