Hello from Charlotte, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewhcu

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been brewing off and on for about 10 years and just recently was turned on this site and think it's fantastic. I've already found tons of helpful info.

We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen and my wife has signed off on my dream to build in a kegerator to our bar area - will love the fresh draft beer but also not having to bottle anymore! Only problem is I want to do it economically and stylishly. Anyone have any advice for setting up an under-counter kegerator? Front venting fridges are expensive, rear venting fridges require air flow and I think the required clearances will look bad, and chest freezers open up and there will be a counter above it.

Worse comes to worst I can stick it back in the laundry room where style and airflow wouldn't be as much of a concern and the options open up a lot...just would love to get it in our "bar area" if possible. Any advice is welcomed!

Thanks!
Andrew

Sorry I missed this, Andrew. Been busy. :(

Welcome! Check the stickies in the kegging area for advice, then if you can ask specific questions people can help you out from there.

Definitely look into keezers, though. You can modify the top of it so that it matches your counter -- it could be part of your counter. You could add towers through the top of it, or put the faucets through the collar. There are a lot of ways to go, limited by your budget and imagination only.

If you do a rear-venting fridge, you could hide an exhaust fan behind a facade around the level of the kickboard, depending on trim etc. I couldn't say much more without seeing pictures.

Welcome, and enjoy the site. :D

Hi Andrew! I'm new here as well. I am About to brew my first batch. I bought all my equipment in Charlotte at Alternative Brewing on South Blvd.

We're practically neighbors, I'm down in Rock Hill. Look forward to hearing from you!

+1 for talking to Jess at Alternative Beverage. He's usually at the warehouse location, but he is very knowledgeable in all facets of the "hobby".

Welcome from the Triangle too by the way.

Thanks guys. After a lot of research and inner-soul searching I think I've come to the conclusion that while it may cost a little more, buying a pre-made under-counter kegerator would save me a lot of time and look a lot nicer than anything I could build.

Are there any brands that should go for, or stay away from?

Hmm... well. I guess you'd have to read through the kegerator thread.

Most kegerators are set up for Sanke kegs, which are the ones most commercial brewers and distributors use. If you want to homebrew in Corny kegs, like most of the people on the board, then you'll need some kind of adapter set-up.

I'd say the really high quality kegerators run in the $1,200 dollar range. All of the lower end ones ($500-$600) have quality concerns. Just really do your research and you should be fine. Also, check Craigslist fairly often, you might get lucky. :)

Best of luck to you, Andrew!

Back